June 06, 2024, 10:29:27 AM

Author Topic: SIA Shocker  (Read 71568 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: SIA Shocker
« Reply #270 on: January 31, 2011, 07:49:44 AM »
'Express' editor, reporter under cyber attack

A vicious personal attack was yesterday launched against Express managing editor Omatie Lyder and political reporter Anna Ramdass by someone adopting the alias "Janice Thomas", as this newspaper continues its investigation into how Reshmi Usha Ramnarine came to be hired as director of the Strategic Services Agency (SSA) with false credentials.

The attack came in the form of an e-mail addressed to editors and reporters of the Express and staff of TV6, which accused Lyder and Ramdass of a personal vendetta against Ramnarine and threatened that "their day in the sun is over".

"This is the beginning... they will understand the consequences of their actions...," the e-mail stated.

The e-mail was also posted on Caribbean Talk, a site for bloggers on issues of the day. However, following complaints from this newspaper, it was pulled by the moderator.

The moderator subsequently issued a warning to bloggers to desist from posting libelous entries and personal attacks.

"We haven't been doing that (blocking posts) regularly because we have things under control, but recently there have been lot of cases where people come in with different aliases and try to use our Yahoo! Groups and Facebook pages to attack others. During the past week or so there were many attacks against the media, especially the Express. We ignored them until now," the moderator stated.

Bloggers were told they were "free to post stuff so long as you don't libel people or engage in personal attacks. You can even use several aliases—we don't really care if you want multiple online identities, but don't try to attack anyone, especially the Express and media, with fake aliases and phony e-mail addresses, etc. You can criticise the media or anyone, but no personal attacks".

"Starting a war with the media will end badly. History has taught us valuable lessons in that area. Don't go there, don't go down that road," the moderator added.

The Express is weighing all its options in this matter.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 31, 2011, 07:55:25 AM »
so much for freedom of the press   ::)
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 31, 2011, 07:59:26 AM »
so much for freedom of the press   ::)

ENTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 01, 2011, 06:19:55 AM »
Debacle exposed personal feuding, breaches in protocol

Reshmi Usha Ramnarine's meteoric rise overnight from a technical operator 1 in the Security Intelligence Agency (SIA) to acting chief of Telecom Technology, Ministry of National Security, and then to a key national position in the director's chair of the Strategic Services Agency (SSA), has elements of partisan considerations, personal feuding and exchange of hostilities between deputy security chiefs and personal friendships between political bosses and their advisers.

The debacle has exposed the backroom machinations to put an unsuitable candidate in the director's chair of a national spy agency. It has also exposed a range of security failures and breaches in protocol and raises important questions about why National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy failed to submit a nominee of his own choice and why, having objected to Ramnarine's suitability for the post at the National Security Council (NSC) meeting, he would present Cabinet Note 92 for her appointment.

Curiouser still is why Deputy Director, SSA, Julie Browne, who played a crucial role in getting Ramnarine parachuted into the director's chair, would write a glowing letter of recommendation for her subordinate's elevation to the boss's chair to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar. There has been no explanation for why Browne would make the unusual recommendation, or why to the Prime Minister and not the line Minister, Sandy, as reported in yesterday's Sunday Express.

Browne has so far failed to respond to enquiries from this newspaper about the role she played in the Ramnarine affair, including why her January 10, 2011, letter to Persad-Bissessar was addressed to: "The Honourable Mrs Kamla Persad-Bissessar, MP, Prime Minister, and Office of the Prime Minister."

The letter of recommendation for her junior employee was not sent to the Prime Minister in her capacity as chairman of the NSC, nor was it copied to anyone. No explanation either for why she overlooked the embellished work experience cited in Ramnarine's CV, failed to check references and, more critically, failed to conduct the standard vetting process required for the current clearance of someone at the level of director. The rigorous vetting process, intelligence sources have disclosed, include polygraph and psychometric tests.

As reported in yesterday's Express, one of the references listed in the controversial CV, Sharon Sharma, a senior prosecutor in the Office of the Attorney General, has denied giving Ramnarine approval to use her name as a reference.

Another named reference, Shireen Ali, a brand marketing manager at SM Jaleel and Co Ltd, is said to be a close friend of Ramnarine. Browne, who is said to have a sharply acrimonious relationship with the agency's second deputy director, Trevor Keron Ganpat, is also listed as a reference.

Timeline to the director's chair

January 10, 2011—Deputy SSA director Julie Browne makes recommendation for accelerated promotion to top job for junior officer Reshmi Usha Ramnarine. The Browne recommendation is a break from the usual practice of the line minister's choice of candidate.

January 12, 2011—National Security Minister Brig John Sandy submits Cabinet Note 92 for Cabinet's consideration for the appointment of Ramnarine as director of the SSA. This, after he had raised objections to the Browne recommendation at the National Security Council meeting attended by Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan and Foreign Affairs Minister Suruj Rambachan, among others.

Sandy's objections about Ramnarine's suitability for the director's chair of the SSA were not supported by his colleagues, who all agreed to the appointment.

January 13, 2011—Cabinet agreed to an initial six-month interim appointment of Reshmi Ramnarine as SSA director. However, several Cabinet ministers appeared to be in the dark about the decision, which led Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar, under a barrage of questions from the media, to quip: "Persons who are members of the Cabinet, if they had read their Cabinet notes, it was a Cabinet decision. From National Security Council and then to the Cabinet. So if members were not at the Cabinet meeting or are not members of the Cabinet, they would not have had that information."

January 14, 2011—Acting President Sen Timothy Hamel-Smith issues Ramnarine her instrument of appointment to the director's chair of the SIA, later corrected to SSA January 21, 2011. The Express reported exclusively on Ramnarine's shock appointment to head the spy agency.

January 22, 2011—Ramnarine resigns, citing intrusive press attention and security concerns. Enquiries into her background turn up false claims of a degree in information technology and work experience.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 01, 2011, 08:39:48 AM »
That Julie Browne chick is the main beam to that whole house of cards...I willin to bet she will suddenly be out of the country very soon
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #275 on: February 01, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »
That Julie Browne chick is the main beam to that whole house of cards...I willin to bet she will suddenly be out of the country very soon
Yep. I wouldn't doubt if she get some kind of  inducement to sign something that Griffith prepared. It seem rather strange that Griffith who is not a part of the National Security Council parotted the same claims as Julie Brown about the last boss Clement. I have never heard of somebody writing a letter to promote junior staff above your own position. That is shit as far as I concerned.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 01, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Yep. I wouldn't doubt if she get some kind of  inducement to sign something that Griffith prepared. It seem rather strange that Griffith who is not a part of the National Security Council parotted the same claims as Julie Brown about the last boss Clement. I have never heard of somebody writing a letter to promote junior staff above your own position. That is shit as far as I concerned.

The term orchestrated seems more appropriate in this scenario.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 01, 2011, 10:23:26 AM »

As dem yankee politician does does say..they stayed 'on message' parroting the same crap...is only dat shitty resume trip dem up

But even if griffith prepare de statement...who decide to gih she de wukk in de first place?
It like ah game of hot potato dem playin oui...is too bad only the Express exposin this level of ineptitude......de Punch should stop showin bad gyal for a week and investigate dat too
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 01, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
mind boggling .. . still shaking my head ..
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 01, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »
I really dunno why allyuh nitpicking every little thing de guvament do.  De gyul lie and get ketch, time tuh move on... I mean forward.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #280 on: February 01, 2011, 12:19:47 PM »
My oponion , if this government wanted to show people they are serious and different from the PNM they

would of made who ever responsible for this blunder  resign, I do not believe Reshmi did anything wrong more than except the position and this was payback for whatever contribution she made to the pp party, they

never thought people would of taken it up like that and ask for an explanation nd now that they realize the people not taking it they throw her Reshmi under the bus hoping that would solve the problem. 
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Online Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 01, 2011, 02:42:11 PM »
I do not believe Reshmi did anything wrong more than except the position

Nah, she do some funny stuff with she resume........she eh so blameless in all this.....in fact, that eh some kinda fraud??  :-\ :thinking:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 01, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »
My oponion , if this government wanted to show people they are serious and different from the PNM they

would of made who ever responsible for this blunder  resign, I do not believe Reshmi did anything wrong more than except the position and this was payback for whatever contribution she made to the pp party, they

never thought people would of taken it up like that and ask for an explanation nd now that they realize the people not taking it they throw her Reshmi under the bus hoping that would solve the problem. 

Zulu,
       I read a post where a writer talked about the irony of the 1990 attempted coup and gathering intelligence. The 1990 inquiry going on right now shows how intelligence is important. 1990 they apparently had the info. but no one took it seriously. Listen to Rawle Raphael and Hennessy. The authorities could not put 2 and 2 together. Not a clue. Hence the formation of the SIA and hence info. on everybody. The way Abu get all them weapons was very suspicious. They pass thru customs or was off loaded from some boat. This new unit was supposed to be a serious organization and now is a pappayshow.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 01, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »

kamla eh go make sheself resign  8)
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 02, 2011, 06:23:23 AM »
Kamla Admits to Mistake

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has admitted the People's Partnership Government made a mistake in appointing Reshmi Usha Ramnarine to head the Strategic Services Agency (SSA).

This is the first time Persad-Bissessar has admitted publicly the appointment of 31-year-old Ramnarine (which took effect on January 14) as director of the Security Intelligence Agency (SIA) was a mistake since the Express exclusively broke the story on January 21.

Ramnarine handed in her resignation 24 hours after questions regarding her qualifications for the job were raised in the Express. Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley had also threatened to withhold Opposition support for critical legislation unless she was removed from the position.

In the days that followed, it would be revealed Ramnarine was not qualified for the post, and Rowley threatened to take National Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy (who said in Parliament she was a University of the West Indies graduate) to the Privileges Committee for misleading the Parliament on the matter.

Sandy apologised and avoided facing the Privileges Committee, but Persad-Bissessar did not clear the air on the issue, saying the country needed to move on.

However, on Monday night while speaking with the media following Vision on Mission's second annual awards ceremony at Queen's Hall, St Ann's, the PM said:

"We had a National Security Council meeting; a couple hours of meetings where issues with, of course, anti-crime initiatives, something to do with the Caribbean Financial Task Force and, of course, looking forward to taking the process forward to find an acting interim director for the Strategic Security [sic] Agency.

"We are doing everything we can to ensure that the misstep that was made doesn't happen again."

When asked if Government would consider getting parliamentary approval for the next appointment, Persad-Bissessar said they could not wait that long to consider having Parliament's approval.

"I do not think we can afford to wait another year to put those special constitutional arrangements in place at this point in time," she said.

She said Government is going to spend time on finding the right person for the job and took the decision "that we will have an interim person which will allow for a longer period of time in which to source the best person for the job".

Persad-Bissessar also admitted her Government needs to improve and said she does not blame the media for publishing the story.

"I don't blame the media; the media does their job. I hold no hostility towards anyone in the media. They got a story and they ran with their story, so I say there is always room for improvement. On the part of Government, there is always room for improvement, and we will continue to try to improve at what we do."

Persad-Bissessar said Government would have to do research to see what happens in other parts of the world when appointing other security heads.

"We do have it in the Police Service and, indeed, those were recommendations that came from us when we had the talks with the then prime minister (Patrick Manning), the constitutional arrangements dealing with the Police Service commissioner, the deputies and so on, but those are matters for much further discussions," she said.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 02, 2011, 08:05:47 AM »
She is a ten days late and ten dollars short. 2nd time she apologize late after evrybody callin 4 wks 2 apologize.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 02, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »
She is a ten days late and ten dollars short. 2nd time she apologize late after evrybody callin 4 wks 2 apologize.

DE lady feelin de heat....she eh want no more investigation to tack back and find out who call de promotion shot

Online Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 02, 2011, 08:55:25 AM »

CO-SIGNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

I buss one steups when I hear dat last night on the news......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 02, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »

CO-SIGNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

I hear yuh and agree eh... But little did Kamla know this thing woulda blow up like this.  What was she to do, especially when she make the appointment?  Again, I agree that it was a dotish appointment, but I cyar blame she for sticking tuh she guns.  Now that she was backed into a corner, in order to move forward, at least she did the noble thing and apologize.  Now that we all know she have at least 1 strike, she better make much more prudent decisions...  Bottom line, this is called politics.
Arimian to meh heart

Online Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2011, 12:42:50 PM »

CO-SIGNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

I hear yuh and agree eh... But little did Kamla know this thing woulda blow up like this.  What was she to do, especially when she make the appointment?  Again, I agree that it was a dotish appointment, but I cyar blame she for sticking tuh she guns.  Now that she was backed into a corner, in order to move forward, at least she did the noble thing and apologize.  Now that we all know she have at least 1 strike, she better make much more prudent decisions...  Bottom line, this is called politics.

No, no, no, eh, eh, nah........what she and she minions should have done was hush dey arse, take some time, forumlate ah response, let one person speak decisively on the issue and apologise up front, one time, one time and doh take the population for fools.    MAYBE then I could have accepted the apology, maybe.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2011, 12:59:18 PM »
This government does talk and within the hour you know is bullshit . The quality of the lies from politicians have deteriorated under this regime. I get accustomed to lies you have to do some digging  to find out.

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2011, 01:49:14 PM »
This government does talk and within the hour you know is bullshit . The quality of the lies from politicians have deteriorated under this regime. I get accustomed to lies you have to do some digging  to find out.

And the thing is, some of the lies and dem dont even have taste..steups..at least dey could ensure that everybody who suppose to lie is on the same page...and gosh man make the lies sound good nah ....Imagine de Dep Director want the computer tech to be she boss????...dat make sense?
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »

And the thing is, some of the lies and dem dont even have taste..steups..at least dey could ensure that everybody who suppose to lie is on the same page...and gosh man make the lies sound good nah ....Imagine de Dep Director want the computer tech to be she boss????...dat make sense?

Yes if u supported d PP

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »
I think if the PP want to know how to lie good they should contac the  PNM for ah lil crash course and in return cancel the moneys they o ing the bus company and i think is CNMG . 

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »

CO-SIGNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

No, no, no, eh, eh, nah........what she and she minions should have done was hush dey arse, take some time, forumlate ah response, let one person speak decisively on the issue and apologise up front, one time, one time and doh take the population for fools.    MAYBE then I could have accepted the apology, maybe.....
Your point is well taken and it would have been the correct way to execute it.  Bottom line, it wasn't, so she apologized.  She not leaving she post for another 4 years, so give her another opportunity to screw up.  Everyone makes mistakes albeit when you at that level, your mistakes are obviously magnified.  I understand the politics though and people need to take that into consideration.
Arimian to meh heart

truetrini

« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2011, 03:15:56 PM »
Mistake?   Yuh mean she get ketch?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »
Your point is well taken and it would have been the correct way to execute it.  Bottom line, it wasn't, so she apologized.  She not leaving she post for another 4 years, so give her another opportunity to screw up.  Everyone makes mistakes albeit when you at that level, your mistakes are obviously magnified.  I understand the politics though and people need to take that into consideration.

Sorry, but that apology eh worth de toilet paper it written on.  What good is an apology if it is made under duress??  She wait until Bas, Selwyn Cudjoe, Roger Hamel-Smith... ah whole line of prominent people start pressuring she before she apologize?  Just last week she take the press to task for the questioning... asking them where they was when the PNM was in power.  The week before that she accuse Rowley of opposing de gyul only because she young, indian and is ah woman. 

Now we supposed tuh pay attention tuh dis half-ass apology and what, pat she on she back?  steups

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 03, 2011, 08:54:51 AM »

Sorry, but that apology eh worth de toilet paper it written on.  What good is an apology if it is made under duress??  She wait until Bas, Selwyn Cudjoe, Roger Hamel-Smith... ah whole line of prominent people start pressuring she before she apologize?  Just last week she take the press to task for the questioning... asking them where they was when the PNM was in power.  The week before that she accuse Rowley of opposing de gyul only because she young, indian and is ah woman. 

Now we supposed tuh pay attention tuh dis half-ass apology and what, pat she on she back?  steups
Me eh saying that the apology worth much but come on now, is really time to address something else.  What is the point?  EVerybody know she screw up and she acknowledge that.  What everybody expecting?  She eh go resign and she shouldn't.  People just need to grow up and move on the to next issue.  This is politics partner.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 03, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »
Did she apologize, or did she admit they made a mistake?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 03, 2011, 10:05:55 AM »
I think is high time we start taking these politicians  to task when they mess up,  let them know we are not taking their shit no more .

We must not allow them to believe they can do what ever they please and get away with it , for to long this have been going on, they been making us Trinbagonians the laughing stock of the world with their corrupted
bacchanal mentality .

They make the  laws for us the people to live by, and we the people should also set a standard for them, maybe if this was done a long time ago, we would not  be going through what we are going through right now .

The politicians are asking us to change and they are not changing , either you want to represent the people or you dont, resign .

1]; } ?>