June 06, 2024, 03:06:14 PM

Author Topic: 2014 Concacaf WCQ Thread.  (Read 128257 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF teams kick off 2014 World Cup qualifiers
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2011, 07:57:16 AM »
Jarvis keen to play with Antigua & Barbuda
http://www.antiguaobserver.com/?p=64191

By Observer Sports - Thursday, September 8th, 2011.
Article Hits: 363
No Comments

St. John’s Antigua- Antigua & Barbuda Football Association (ABFA) could soon have the services of yet another player based in England.

This is according to a report by the walesonline.co.uk website, which stated that Cardiff City striker Nat Jarvis has indicated his willingness to represent the twin-island state at the London Olympics next year.

The article further stated that Jarvis was selected for Antigua & Barbuda’s opening Group F World Cup Qualifiers against Curacao last Friday but reports are that this was hindered due to minimal red tape.

The 19 year old, according to the site, is however hoping to represent Antigua & Barbuda when they play both Curacao and the USVI this month.

Another England-based player said to have expressed an interest in representing Antigua & Barbuda is Nottingham Forest’s left-winger Dexter Blackstock.

Blackstock, whose mother is reportedly Antiguan and his father Jamaican, could join the squad at some point during the World Cup Qualifiers as well.

Reports are that the ABFA has identified at least 15 players based in England and elsewhere who are eligible to play for Antigua & Barbuda.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2011, 10:18:44 AM »
Groups A&B  looks straight forward. Group C is the group of death. Panama and Canada will fight for the second spot.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2011, 10:55:55 AM »
Groups A&B  looks straight forward. Group C is the group of death. Panama and Canada will fight for the second spot.

Things always look straight forward beforehand but there is always one performer who lets themselves down and another who performs above expectations! Don't forget what happened in our group and also in Haiti's group in the 2nd round!

At least one of these three teams Canada, Guyana & Antigua is going to get surprise victories against the other higher rated teams in their group! Just watch and see, there is going to be a couple of upsets!!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:10:50 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2011, 12:27:25 PM »

Things always look straight forward beforehand but there is always one performer who lets themselves down and another who performs above expectations! Don't forget what happened in our group and also in Haiti's group in the 2nd round!

At least one of these three teams Canada, Guyana & Antigua is going to get surprise victories against the other higher rated teams in their group! Just watch and see, there is going to be a couple of upsets!!  :beermug:
That would be true if Antigua & Barbuda's qualifiers were all home games. And it would be quite a stretch, even then. If there is a big scoreline in their first qualifier away against the USA then the A&B players will be a bit demoralised and self confidence will be low, at home against a strong Reggae Boyz squad who would have just taken 3 points from Guatemala in their first qualifier at "The Office". :beermug: :thumbsup:
jjbrown

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Shabazz calls for the 12th man
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2012, 07:02:24 AM »
That kind of shit opposition in now way will get them ready for Mexico in the Azteca. but I guess if none of your pros are available no better team would want to play them.

Debut vs. Mexico in the Azteca.
Good luck, they going to need it.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Concacaf WCQ Thread.
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2012, 09:48:40 PM »
That kind of shit opposition in now way will get them ready for Mexico in the Azteca. but I guess if none of your pros are available no better team would want to play them.

VB
This is their local based team playing these friendlies, they drew tonight 2-2 with Martinique.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2012, 02:14:15 PM »
Never understood that TBH. you will never see england france or any of the top teams in the world play a friendly on an international date with their local or B squad.

i think if we want to improve here in the caribbean, w have to start playing these friendlies with our best players, and demand their clubs release their foreign players and exercise their right to given to them by FIFA.

IMO playing these matches with your B team is pure bunk! and theres absolutely nothing to be gained.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Online Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2012, 03:18:50 PM »
Never understood that TBH. you will never see england france or any of the top teams in the world play a friendly on an international date with their local or B squad.

i think if we want to improve here in the caribbean, w have to start playing these friendlies with our best players, and demand their clubs release their foreign players and exercise their right to given to them by FIFA.

IMO playing these matches with your B team is pure bunk! and theres absolutely nothing to be gained.

Cool, releasing players is not an issue with clubs. The problem is the manner in which they go about preparing for important fixtures. There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to planning football for the senior team football. Now the league is following the FIFA calender is more comesse. What is TTFF plans. We don't know or they don't even know themselves.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2012, 10:53:24 PM »

This is not a FIFA date right now when they are playing Martinique (last night) and Guadeloupe (tomorrow).  The next official FIFA date is June 8 but Guyana expect to have their full compliment of overseas players for the Jamaica friendly in May...I'm not sure who will turn out for the Parbo Bier Cup at the end of May, probably a mix of overseas and home-based.  Also sometimes teams can't afford to bring in their overseas players for all FIFA dates.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:56:55 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2012, 01:50:05 AM »

This is not a FIFA date right now when they are playing Martinique (last night) and Guadeloupe (tomorrow).  The next official FIFA date is June 8 but Guyana expect to have their full compliment of overseas players for the Jamaica friendly in May...I'm not sure who will turn out for the Parbo Bier Cup at the end of May, probably a mix of overseas and home-based.  Also sometimes teams can't afford to bring in their overseas players for all FIFA dates.
Yeh i understand that worm, but lemme tell yuh, this, the only time i ever see ah full contingent of players FIFA date or not, @ least here in TT, is when we have qualifying, the gold cup or we playing some big team like england, but other than that, is pure nashy thin foot locals in the frey, and when is time for the real deal, these same 2nd string boys don't even get selected in the final 22. it just makes no sense WSE!

i want to see our best players on the field during these fifa sanction dates playing these friendlies, not these local boys who is barely capable of beating the best teams in the region, and who would never stand a chance of being selected over a foreign based player anyway.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2012, 02:21:53 AM »

VB
This is their local based team playing these friendlies, they drew tonight 2-2 with Martinique.

I know. By pros I meant players abroad. Does Guy. have pros at home?

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2012, 08:52:27 AM »
is pure nashy thin foot locals in the frey,

oh shit man Just Cool...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2012, 08:22:47 PM »
I'm hearing Guyana lost 7-1 to Colombia today in a behind closed doors friendly, not an official match though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:07:19 PM by theworm2345 »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Now or never for Canada
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2012, 07:32:49 AM »
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/06/01/armchair-analyst-now-or-never-canadian-generation

Armchair Analyst: Now or never for Canadian generation
JUNE 1, 2012
Matthew Doyle
MLSsoccer.com

The last 25 years have been kind to CONCACAF soccer nations.

Mexico are on the verge of becoming a legitimate world power. The United States have qualified for the last six World Cups, made the knockout rounds in three of them and finished in the top three of two Confederations Cups. Jamaica, Costa Rica and Trinidad and Tobago all made their first appearance in the World Cup.

Dwight Yorke became a star on one of the best loved, and best remembered Champions League winners (the 1999 Manchester United side). Rafa Márquez had his stay at the top with Barcelona, while Hugo Sánchez became a legend in Madrid. Brad Friedel is still going strong in England. David Suazo scored more than 100 goals in Italy.

And then there’s Canada.

Few remember it now, but up until the late 1980s, Canada were actually in better shape than the US. They were hardly a juggernaut, but they put together enough pieces and developed enough of a soccer culture so that, when they qualified for the 1986 World Cup, it wasn’t a total shock.

DeRo named May's Player of the Month

What is shocking is how inept the Canucks have been in World Cup qualifying since then. The only time they came close was in 1994, finishing second to Mexico.

In the four subsequent cycles, the best they did was dead last in the 1998 Hexagonal, scoring just five times in 10 games.

They were eliminated in 2002’s semifinal round as they scored just once. Four years later, again in the semis, they finished bottom of the table behind Costa Rica, Guatemala and Honduras. And Canadian futility reached an all-time low in the 2010 cycle, as they managed to go winless in the semis just one year after looking like the breakout team at the 2007 Gold Cup.

US fans who think they have it tough should look north for a bit. It’s not easy being a Canadian soccer supporter.

The most brutal part about it, though, is that this generation’s team has consistently been so much less than the sum of its parts. Dwayne De Rosario is one of the five best players in MLS history; Atiba Hutchinson was the best midfielder in Denmark for five years, and is now a starter for PSV Eindhoven; Julian de Guzman is a quality tempo-setter who was the best player at the 2007 Gold Cup; Olivier Occean led the 2.Bundesliga in scoring this season, and led his side to promotion in the process.

The list goes on. Simeon Jackson is a super-sub goal scorer for Norwich City in the English Premier League; Kevin McKenna has more than a decade of experience in Germany’s top two leagues at central defense; Michael Klukowski has played north of 200 games for quality teams in Belgium and Turkey; Will Johnson, Iain Hume, Ante Jazic, Dejan Jakovic, Andre Hainault ... all of these are quality players. All have been around the Canadian team for years.

This is, on paper, the third-best team in CONCACAF. And there’s precious little to show for it.

Nobody would have guessed that would be the case after that 2007 Gold Cup. Those Canadians stretched the US to the limit in the semifinals, and only an (highly dubious) offside call on a late Hutchinson would-be equalizer gave the Yanks the 2-1 win. It probably should have gone to extra time, with the Canucks up a man and tilting the field more or less at will.

The 2010 qualifying cycle was supposed to be their chance for redemption and – in the eyes of some – revenge for a flag-happy linesman. Instead they flopped, finishing 0-2-4 with six goals scored and 13 conceded.

The Canadian national team has been adrift since then, and Sunday’s friendly against the US is the beginning of this group’s last chance to make good on their collective talent. De Rosario, de Guzman, Occean, McKenna, Klukowski and Jazic are all on the wrong side of 30, while Hutchinson is 29 and Hume is 28.

The window is closing. Head coach Stephen Hart needs to ditch the ultra-conservative tactics that left his side impotent in last summer’s Gold Cup and show some faith. Let DeRo be DeRo. Let Jackson run off of Occean’s shoulder. Put de Guzman and Hutchinson in the same central midfield. Take the fullbacks off the tether, and trust McKenna to keep the central defense organized.

It’s time for Canada to go at teams with gusto rather than caution, because caution simply hasn’t worked.

It’s been a long 25 years for Canadian soccer. This generation was supposed to change it.

If they’re going to do so, it has to happen now.

Matthew Doyle writes the Armchair Analyst column for MLSsoccer.com.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Now or never for Canada
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2012, 07:42:34 AM »
Just when allyuh think things bad, Trinidad and Tobago in teh same boat. And look nah Canada have money . facilities,  and the know how. They should be miles ahead then again yuh have a vast country where Hockey rules and football is well not the game yuh run around and kick ah ball.
I say Stephen Hart  leave cushy Canada and come  built up we team back home.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »
This is misleading. Canada realised around 2008 that they would only be lucky WC competitors in the future if they continued as they were. So they decided to seriouly fund a programme that would not only see them qualify for 2018, but would firmly place them as one of the top 3 CONCACAF nations in the future.

I'm not sure how they are doing with this, but I remember last year, there were lots of praise for the Canadian youth teams.

There's not much they can do about their current crop of players, but planning for the future is a sound plan.

I remember how USA were still rubbish during their first NASL days, but the interest generated by Pele & co was sufficient to attract many younger players who previously would have played the traditional U.S. sports. Within 10 years they had created a system that saw them qualify for every WC since 1990.

This is the pattern T&T need to follow.
All jokes aside, we have the CoE with accomodation. Why aren't our top 30 under 14's and under 16's living there on a football scholarship programme? Why doesn't TTFF get funding to pay for 3 16 year olds to be placed at all Pro League clubs on a joint development incentive plan where the host club receives a percentage of future sell on fees? If you got really serious, some players could be subsidised to join overseas clubs.

If the govt recovered the missing TT$100 million from 2006 this academy could be funded for 10 years right there!

truetrini

« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2012, 09:27:32 AM »
This is misleading. Canada realised around 2008 that they would only be lucky WC competitors in the future if they continued as they were. So they decided to seriouly fund a programme that would not only see them qualify for 2018, but would firmly place them as one of the top 3 CONCACAF nations in the future.

I'm not sure how they are doing with this, but I remember last year, there were lots of praise for the Canadian youth teams.

There's not much they can do about their current crop of players, but planning for the future is a sound plan.

I remember how USA were still rubbish during their first NASL days, but the interest generated by Pele & co was sufficient to attract many younger players who previously would have played the traditional U.S. sports. Within 10 years they had created a system that saw them qualify for every WC since 1990.

All jokes aside, we have the CoE with accomodation. Why aren't our top 30 under 14's and under 16's living there on a football scholarship programme? Why doesn't TTFF get funding to pay for 3 16 year olds to be placed at all Pro League clubs on a joint development incentive plan where the host club receives a percentage of future sell on fees? If you got really serious, some players could be subsidised to join overseas clubs.

If the govt recovered the missing TT$100 million from 2006 this academy could be funded for 10 years right there!

You know that sometimes you talk so much shit that if you died I felt that you would come back as a roll of toilet paper.  BUT......!  This is good talk I getting from you these past few days.

Your short discourse on what direction football development should take in your post above is in my opinion superb.

The CoE has been used as Jack's personal play thing while its resources have been put to sparse use.  Jack has been a cancerous sore on the T&T footballing fratertinity and now we are in a state of terminal illness.  We need some serious radical chemotherapy to rid ourselves once and for all of JAckula's scourge.

But alas, Kamla has her nose so far up his ass, she could smell his farts and tell what he had for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Imagine there is incontrovertible evidence that he does indeed own the CoE but he remains in her innermost circle and a High Ranking Government Minister.

Only in f**king Green Fig Republic Trinidad and Tobago!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2012, 09:39:39 AM »

You know that sometimes you talk so much shit that if you died I felt that you would come back as a roll of toilet paper. BUT......!  This is good talk I getting from you these past few days.

Your short discourse on what direction football development should take in your post above is in my opinion superb.

The CoE has been used as Jack's personal play thing while its resources have been put to sparse use.  Jack has been a cancerous sore on the T&T footballing fratertinity and now we are in a state of terminal illness.  We need some serious radical chemotherapy to rid ourselves once and for all of JAckula's scourge.

But alas, Kamla has her nose so far up his ass, she could smell his farts and tell what he had for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Imagine there is incontrovertible evidence that he does indeed own the CoE but he remains in her innermost circle and a High Ranking Government Minister.

Only in f**king Green Fig Republic Trinidad and Tobago!

The feeling is indeed, mutual. Worryingly, this relationship is becoming reminiscent of my first marriage  :rotfl:  Lets get some counseling and work together to rebuild T&T football!!!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2012, 09:46:25 AM »
"Your short discourse on what direction football development should take in your post above is in my opinion superb"

TT, I can't take full credit for these opinions. They were developed over many Caribs with Sancho & Jeffrey with input from Kelvin Jack. These are the guys who should be given a chance to develop football, along with many other bright T&T footballers who are equally frustrated.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »

Don't be surprised if you/we all ever come to find out that it's much more than that (just from the '06 WC alone) that jack done tief from Trinidad Football eh.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »

Don't be surprised if you/we all ever come to find out that it's much more than that (just from the '06 WC alone) that jack done tief from Trinidad Football eh.

Maybe, but that was the figure obtained from Govt under freedom of information act.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2012, 10:00:42 AM »

Maybe, but that was the figure obtained from Govt under freedom of information act.

Yeah, no scene....I had heard it was at least US 40M

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2012, 10:03:13 AM »
"Your short discourse on what direction football development should take in your post above is in my opinion superb"

TT, I can't take full credit for these opinions. They were developed over many Caribs with Sancho & Jeffrey with input from Kelvin Jack. These are the guys who should be given a chance to develop football, along with many other bright T&T footballers who are equally frustrated.

Good to see de two ah allyuh could put aside allyuh differences and find common ground.  I think you both have good ideas and TT definitely have the passion to drive them ideas to greater things beyond the forum where Trinidad Football is concerned.   :beermug:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2012, 11:06:56 AM »
Ahem, moderators this topic wasn't about WC...maybe development ideas...anyhow...
Add: or Regional football,or football in Canada, even a what we can lear thread....but I guess Stoke, ManU Ans such threads more critical, so they have there own ?

FS
I don't think those ideas so sound, dey nice, it would be good.. But the reality is they not happening now, and more so, may never happen...so over Caribs is where they should stay....
TT governments can't even keep a man who confessed to trying to overthrow them, a man who destroyed, and attempted murder ,if not more - under house request....they sue hm, he sue them back...and they will get back money from jack Warner ?...to do something for a Sport , where there are no garantees of long term consistent success, where the most successful has to leaves the shores, and if you get 50 % of those to give back through education/coaching or finances, yuh get plenty...yeah, donate boots, balls & jerseys..I do that, and I not committed...therefore, very little ROI....if all dem ballers who pass thru the National team program, would give 2 % of dey Salary, & some Community Service every 2 years of dey Off season, and we had a strong intergral TTFF body to monitor/organize/co-ordinate & lobby/canvass business & as well as a government and everyone to lead each other by example & action, maybe we could become a developed nation, in all aspects, including football.

But many TTians raised trying,asking,taking,getting what dey want, and very few dedicated souls, ever teaching them how to give back. Some do, but a drop in the bucket of what could be accomplished.
And it doesn't help when there are politicians , who spoil the ppl by not only messing up the giving, some to much, and others to little, but introduce throw way & pocketing into the mix..and everybody passing on we street and taking a lil thing wha we throwing way, to improve deyself  :D
Yuh think we easy..hopefully Doh, one day, ah could buy some Carib too, Doh my afterdrinks suggestions are of a more National socio-Econ, and 1 or 2,world issues as well, but is probably cause I drink more Blue & Bud, than Allyuh...so mrsG figure anyway ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:05:55 PM by maxg »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shabazz: This is the game of our lives - Stabroek News
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2012, 05:57:41 AM »

`This is the game of our lives and careers’ – National Coach Jamaal Shabazz
Azteca baptism awaits Golden Jaguars

By STABROEK STAFF  |  0 COMMENTS  |  SPORTS | FRIDAY, JUNE 8, 2012

EmailPrint
Next Page »

Mexico City, Mexico - Guyana’s Golden Jaguars and CONCACAF powerhouses Mexico ranked 99th and 19th in the FIFA world rankings lock horns in a group B encounter on the opening day of the third round 2014 World Cup qualifiers at the world famous Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, from 7:00 pm (8:00pm Guyana time).

Coach Jamaal Shabazz speaks to reporters yesterday.

Although five other matches will also be kicking off almost simultaneously around the North, Central American and Caribbean Zones in Group B, A and C – this game carries the most interest since it is set-up as your archetypical “David vs Goliath” match-up, due to the two nations football histories.

Mexico colloquially referred to as “El Tri” has qualified for 14 of the 19 FIFA World Cup competitions.

The Jaguars on the other hand do not have such significant football accomplishments on their curriculum vitae and only recently had its greatest national football moment when they toppled Caribbean football giants Trinidad and Tobago in the previous round – a night that Guyanese football enthusiast now term “11-11-11”.

Add this to fact that the Azteca is sound fortress for the Mexicans with them having not lost a competitive or friendly game on this hallowed venue since 2002 – which is most famous for hosting the game of century (Brazil vs Italy 1970 World Cup final) and Diego Maradona’s “Hand of God Goal” in 1986.

Campaign Preparation

Both sides have gone about their preparation for this semi-final round in drastically different manners.

With the altitude factor always very prominent when teams visit Mexico the Guyana team held a training camp in Columbia where they played two games along with friendly internationals in Panama and Jamaica over the past month and although they lost all of those games – the purpose of those matches was targeted towards today’s encounter instead of whether the team was triumphant or unsuccessful.

The Mexicans played three friendlies in America versus Wales, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Brazil winning all of those matches. Their 2-0 win over Brazil although it was an Under-23 Olympic side mainly, was greatly praised by coach Jose Torre at a press conference yesterday, in which he praised the performances of his Carré Magique (Magic Square) attacking strikers Javier Hernandez, Giovanni Dos Santos, Pablo Barrera and Andres Guadardo.

Shabazz and Nurse thoughts

National coach and captain Jamaal Shabazz and Chris Nurse spoke briefly before the team left for training yesterday and both although positive in their outlook, were suffering from no delusions of grandeur of the task that awaits the team.

“This is a big moment for Guyana and the toughest game we will ever face in our life and a opportunity we are ready to take. It’s a great learning experience and what a game for our lives and careers – may we live in interesting times,” said Shabazz.

Some members of the Golden Jaguars team going through their paces last night.

Speaking about tactics and his feelings about how the team has adapted to the altitude during the camp SHabazz said: “We will be forced to defend for long periods, so this game will test our character and ability to be disciplined and constant. We have done the preparation that we can do and the commitment shown by players thus far has been first class and we look forward to giving our best for our country”.

Nurse, who is the only player in the Guyana team to play high level football in Mexico for his North American Soccer League side Carolina Railhawks during the CONCACAF Champions league, echoed much of what Shabazz said.

Speaking at the opening reception the Guyana team received on their arrival in Mexico, flocked by a crescendo of local reporters Nurse said:

“As Gaffer (Shabazz) said we are away from home in Mexico, altitude is going to have a massive say on the style we play, regardless if you are fit as a fiddle, based on my experience of playing in it – is very difficult to breathe. For some people it can take months, so hopefully the camp would have put the boys in good stead. It was an experience for all of us how those journalists flocked us when we arrived. We see it on TV, but to have it happen for us, made us all appreciate the top level international we are at right now,”  Nurse reasoned.

Approximately 80,000 to 90,000 fans according to the Mexican Football Association are expected to flock the stadium that hold 105,000 at full capacity and both Nurse and SHabazz concluded by suggesting that playing in front of such a large and likely hostile home crowd could inspire the Jaguars to do something great on the night.

Players to watch

Shabazz acknowledged that the Guyana team is resigned to playing a defensice style and said how quickly Guyana on the counter attack can get the ball up to strikers Carl Cort and Gregory Richardson when they are in goal-scoring positions, may turn out to be a key for the visitors.

Guyana also have a massive height difference advantage over Mexico, so once they manage to breathe well on the night, set-pieces goal options may also prove invaluable for them.

With their short stature, low center of gravity and lightning quick turn of pace that can embarrass the best of defenders in world football – the Guyanese back-line that will be marshalled by Leon Cort, John Paul “JP” Rodrigues and Charles `Lilly’ Pollard will know they have to bring their A-game to the table to keep the Msxico strikers quiet over 90 minutes.

However El Trini isn’t all about attack, since captain and former Barcelona defender Rafael Marquez, brings experience and composure in leading the back-line.

Guyana Football Federation acting President Franklin Wilson, Aubrey “Shanghai” Major, Faizal Khan, Mark Phillips of the Georgetown Football Assocation and Dexter Austin of Western Tigers are some of the notable football personalities from Guyana expected to be at the game.

Guyana 22-man squad: Goalkeepers – Ronson Williams, Richard Reynolds, Colin Edwards, Defenders – Leon Cort, Charles Pollard, JP Rodrigues, Walter Moore, Howard Newton, Chris Bourne, Aubrey David, Midfielders – Chris Nurse, Kayode McKinnon, Konata Mannings, Kester Jacobs, Dwight Peters, Dwain Jacobs, Howard Newton, Strikers – Gregory Richardson, Anthony Abrams and Shawn Beveney.

Jamaal Shabazz – Head Coach, Wayne `Wiggy’ Dover – Assistant coach, Managers – Rawle Adams and Mark Xavier, Physiotherapists – Donna Marie Wickham, Debita Harripersaud, Andrew Hazel – Goalkeeper coach, Trevor Burnett – equipment manager.

Mexico squad: Goalkeepers – Jose Corona, Guillermo Ochoa, Alfredo Talavera, Defenders – Rafael Marquez, Francisco Rodrguez, Carlos Salcido, Hector Moreno, Severo Meza, Israel Jiminez, Hugo Ayala, Jorge Nino – Mid-Fielders – Jesus Molina, Edgar Andrade, Pablo Barrera, Angel Reyna, Jesus Zavala, Luis Perez, Andres Guadardo, Edgar Lugo – Strikers – Javier Hernandez,  Giovanni Dos Santos, Aldo Di Nigris. Coach: Jose Manuel de la Torre.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Shabazz: This is the game of our lives - Stabroek News
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2012, 06:00:31 AM »
I anticipate some good licks for these men about 6 to 8 - 0.

A good  day for Guyana will be about 4-0.

Will be interesting to see what happen in their first home encounter.

I glad for Pollard and Jackie Chan - two of the better players from Guy. who always deserved to play a higher level of football.

VB

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »
I hope you are right vb and I also hope Guyana could hold them to 4 or less,I dont expect them to score, all I can say is that Guyana would have to hope that Mexico is at their worst,better teams have suffered some humiliating defeats in Mexico.This is unknown territory for the Muddies.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »
Give them credit, they trained in Colombia. But unless they spent at least a month straight there and went directly to Mex. I don't see it making a great difference.

VB

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »
I sorry for guyana but I see dey getting about 13 today..

war
Black Lives Matter..

1]; } ?>