May 23, 2024, 03:43:11 AM

Author Topic: Kamla Persad-Bissessar Thread.  (Read 206679 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kamla Persad-Bissessar first 100-days.
« Reply #930 on: January 27, 2014, 03:39:01 PM »
As I transition, let me clarify something:

... Your disagreement essentially is with something I said, though you chose not to address me directly.  I disagree with your "disagreement" and up until now I chose to not address you directly, responding in kind.  ...

There was nothing captivating about what you stated. It was an ordinary comment that, standing alone, commanded no response, and was appropriately filed away as "nonsense", with no motivation or intention to comment.

However, because Brownsugar standardly projects enlightened, liberated viewpoints as I've read them over the years, and because she is a woman who acquiesced in your unenlightened view, I commented on her responsive post.

Now .. Despite Browns' enlightenment, it's possible that any woman, who responded as Browns did, may have stimulated the response I stated:

Browns, I'm surprised you agree with this assertion.

Why??   :-\

Because it's nonsense.

Therefore, I was more interested in Browns' perspective than in your pontification. Ultimately, I found her response partially helpful, but in essence mired in your splatter.

I remain more interested in her gendered viewpoint than in your rationale, but shall nonetheless address them both since in many posts you seem to be preoccupied with gender-identification.

At this point, I'll engage your impatient enthusiasm a bit more.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 26, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »
... the pace will be glacially slow here, but the outcome will be the same. Lehwe build again.

Why I Miss Julia Gillard

I celebrated Julia Gillard becoming our first female prime minister and dreamt of a political future, as did many girls.

Then we witnessed the crude harassment, disgusting personal comments, threats and derogatory questions she had to endure while in office. Some of us can recite sections of her ''misogyny'' speech that went around the world.

Now we have elected Tony Abbott to lead the country, and have a political environment pretty much devoid of women at the top.

Young women who have observed what was done to our first female prime minister are now growing up in a world that believes how she was treated - by the Liberal and Labor parties - was OK. The long-term consequences could plague Australia for lifetimes to come because girls and women might not be interested in reaching for the top in politics.

We were warned of this future by none other than the woman who received the brunt of the misogyny. Gillard warned us of the ''repulsive double standards'' Abbott has regarding women. She told us a vote for Abbott would spell the end of women's voices in our political life. That our voices would be drowned out in a sea of blue ties. With now only one woman in his cabinet, her fears were right. Abbott believes that one woman in cabinet is enough.

At the state level - with only one female premier - the future is no brighter. The more women are attacked in their political roles, the more numb we appear to become about it. We are growing up in a society that accepts comments such as ''the prime minister's father died of shame'' as OK.

This provokes questions about the treatment of women in politics in the future - will it get any better? Girls are growing up on an unhealthy diet of the mistreatment of women and their disappearance from politics entirely.

What women will unfortunately take away from Gillard's prime ministership is how mercilessly and relentlessly she was attacked for everything she did or attempted. And how she has disappeared from public life, as if kowtowing to the bully boys' wishes.

She has moved back to her and my home state, South Australia, yet has been completely absent from the political debate before our state election.

The future for women in Australian politics can be redirected from the path it is on right now. Our only option is to convince women - especially young women and girls like me, a 14-year-old - to enter politics.

Gillard hoped her time in the top job would influence young women to think of politics as a future career, and to aim for the top job. Unfortunately our current federal government is not saying the same thing.

Her hard work, resilience and dignity through her prime ministership was inspiring. While some girls will think of the hardship she experienced and wonder whether it was worth it, others like me now want to get more involved in politics and will continue to be inspired by her. We miss her.

Arabella Wauchope is a year 9 student at Adelaide High School

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/why-i-miss-julia-gillard-20140219-330py.html#ixzz2uSMEcnrD
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:29:42 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 26, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »
Julia Gillard: Sexism against female leaders isn't just an Australian problem
February 26, 2014 - 3:25PM

http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/news-features/julia-gillard-sexism-against-female-leaders-isnt-just-an-australian-problem-20140226-33huc.html

Julia Gillard has told BBC that the sexism faced by female leaders isn't just "something Australian", but that ''many of the things that happened to me as prime minister happened to other women leaders''.

The former Prime Minister addressed an international audience ahead of taking her role at the Global Partnership for Education, stating that while the sexist attitude she encountered while she served in Parliament was challenging, things will be easier for the next woman who gets the job.

Speaking to the BBC in Washington DC, Ms Gillard cites meetings with other female heads of government where they commented on a ''never-ending focus'' on appearances with people more interested in handbags than what was being said.

Soon after losing the election last year Ms Gillard told a Sydney Opera House audience of the "murderous rage'' she felt about sexism she had to endure as prime minister.
Advertisement

''There were some things about gender our nation needed to work through, that I personally had to work through,'' Ms Gillard told the BBC.

''But I think it's all part of a journey, where we will over time be treating women and men far more equally in politics.''

She told the BBC that many of the things that happened to her had also happened to other women leaders.

"You'll gather [with other women leaders] and chat about common experiences, where there's never-ending focus on appearance ... people are too interested in the handbag rather than what you're saying,'' she says.

But the BBC says it went well beyond the handbag.

The interviewer, Tim Franks, interrupts Ms Gillard to point out comments aimed at her being ''deliberately barren'' or a description by the boss of one of Australia's biggest agricultural companies calling her a ''non-productive old cow''.

''You had to sit there while a radio interviewer was asking if your partner was gay,'' Franks says.

He asks: ''Was she then, is she now, too phlegmatic? Again, 'the murderous rage' of which she spoke in September (at the Sydney Opera House) appears to have been extinguished.''

''I'm a pretty even-tempered sort of person," Ms Gillard says.

"There are always difficult judgment calls about how much oxygen you give to people who are being truly absurd."

Ms Gillard is about to take on a new role as chair of the Board of Directors at the Global Partnership for Education.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:31:25 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 26, 2014, 01:12:33 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SOPsxpMzYw4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SOPsxpMzYw4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 26, 2014, 02:58:53 PM »

”It’s not been ever the norm in our nation before for people to wake up in the morning and look at the news and see a female leader doing this job.

”For all of the years before, you would see a man in a suit; I am not a man in a suit and I think that that has taken the nation some time to get used to – I think it is probably still taking the nation a bit of time to get used to.

”I think it’s the same sort of journey that many nations around the world are on and it speaks really to the changing nature of our times and the forward progress for women in societies like ours.

”But it’s got some uncomfortable moments along the way. There’s no doubt about that and I feel one of the things that will certainly happen, having had the first female prime minister, is it’s going to be easier for the second, and then it’s going to be easier again for the third.

”And then everybody will get over it and forget about it and no one will even bother to comment any more.”

--- Julia Gillard.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australians-still-getting-used-to-female-pm-gillard-20130404-2h8zd.html

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 27, 2014, 06:05:18 PM »
So....KPB and Gillard being undermined by the same problem with women leadership? What makes you think so?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 27, 2014, 06:42:46 PM »
So....KPB and Gillard being undermined by the same problem with women leadership? What makes you think so?

You have time.  I see this shit yesterday and just skipped past responding to it.  Loved Gillard's speech though... watched every one of the 15 minutes, and fuh 15 mins she reamed dude out, tore him a new asshole... but in a nice, diplomatic way.  Gillard seems genuinely qualified for the office and was undermined by an intransigent opposition and pervasive misogyny and sexism.  Kamla just being undermined by the fact that the public unreasonably expects her to be effective in office and do actual work.  Why burden the poor woman with expectations when all she want to do is dress up fuh function and hand out silk tuh she and she drinking pardnas?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 27, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »

You have time.  I see this shit yesterday and just skipped past responding to it.  Loved Gillard's speech though... watched every one of the 15 minutes, and fuh 15 mins she reamed dude out, tore him a new asshole... but in a nice, diplomatic way.  Gillard seems genuinely qualified for the office and was undermined by an intransigent opposition and pervasive misogyny and sexism.  Kamla just being undermined by the fact that the public unreasonably expects her to be effective in office and do actual work.  Why burden the poor woman with expectations when all she want to do is dress up fuh function and hand out silk tuh she and she drinking pardnas?

I saw it....pondered....wondered. Considered...contrasted my sentiments on Gillard with my sentiments on KPB. It wasnt adding up.

So since I always willing to learn...I say I go ask.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 27, 2014, 08:39:27 PM »
I saw it....pondered....wondered. Considered...contrasted my sentiments on Gillard with my sentiments on KPB. It wasnt adding up.

So since I always willing to learn...I say I go ask.

Well in fairness he say it go move at a "glacial pace"... didn't realize he was referring to the logical reasoning being offered as well.  Ah well, looks like de Ice Age now start... might take some time.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 27, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »
country on auto pilot, the only thing this gov't is diligent at is drafting poor legislation, with an almost secular interest in the main.

yet to see any policy decision that should have a run rate economical growth effect in either the short or long term after almost 4 years.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #940 on: February 27, 2014, 09:35:35 PM »
1. KPB couldn't hold a candle to Gillard as a public speaker or general knowledge of what her government is(was) doing.

2. If Abbott actually said those things as I am wont to believe, he's a real backside.

3. Admittedly I'm not familiar with the context of her statement but it seems more like someone on a personal soapbox talking about how their feelings and personal convictions.

4. Gillard in the end was very unpopular among Australians   see http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jun/18/julia-gillard-most-unpopular-leader-australia

5. So unpopular was she that she lost Kevin Rudd in the Labor party election. Australians had summarily dismissed this guy in 2010.

I wouldn't doubt that she faced 'sexism and misogyny' but clearly there were many more issues that lead to her demise.

KPB operates on a much lower level of sophistication but claims to be similarly attacked.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 27, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »
1. KPB couldn't hold a candle to Gillard as a public speaker or general knowledge of what her government is(was) doing.

2. If Abbott actually said those things as I am wont to believe, he's a real backside.

3. Admittedly I'm not familiar with the context of her statement but it seems more like someone on a personal soapbox talking about how their feelings and personal convictions.

4. Gillard in the end was very unpopular among Australians   see http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jun/18/julia-gillard-most-unpopular-leader-australia

5. So unpopular was she that she lost Kevin Rudd in the Labor party election. Australians had summarily dismissed this guy in 2010.

I wouldn't doubt that she faced 'sexism and misogyny' but clearly there were many more issues that lead to her demise.

KPB operates on a much lower level of sophistication but claims to be similarly attacked.

1. I think we could end this idiotic comparison to both the performance and/or the experience of Gillard.

2. Notice that others were chiming in to finish her sentence, indicating widespread knowledge of the comments, while Abbott himself wore the impassive look of someone bereft of a defense.

3. The context of her statement is that Abbott (of all people), was trying to criticize a member of the Gillard administration about being sexist and misogynist.

4. Nah, yuh have tuh find ah better supporting article.  That one was from a year into her administration... can't say that is where things stood at the end.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 25, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »
Glenn Ramadharsingh's appointment as minister has been revoked according to CNC3  :beermug:

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 25, 2014, 09:26:36 PM »
Read more: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/GLENN-FIRED-252362181.html

GLENN FIRED
PM acts on minister following unruly behaviour towards flight attendant on CAL flight
By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Mar 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM ECT

Story Updated: Mar 25, 2014 at 11:02 PM ECT

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar last night advised President Anthony Carmona to revoke the appointment of Minister of the People and Social Development Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh.

In taking action on the minister, Persad-Bissessar said there must be no compromise on integrity and no allowance for arrogance in her Government.

Her action comes 11 days after the Express exclusively reported in a story by investigative journalist Denyse Renne that police were investigating a report of disorderly behaviour by Ramadharsingh on board a domestic flight from Tobago to Trinidad on March 16.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:28:17 PM by Aviator »
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: March 26, 2014, 10:33:57 AM »
When I left T&T in the late 80's I was to young to vote. I have no political affiliation to any party. I must say that this is by far the worst Government in the history of T&T. In less than four years 12 ministers removed , infighting like a cheap soap opera , and worst of all corruption like never before. I truly believe that this Party has to go. If they win the next election T&T will be sent back 100 years. Please people of T&T forget about voting along racial lines and vote this embarrassment of a Government out.   

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: March 26, 2014, 01:21:04 PM »
How can you ask people to not vote along racial lines when the UNC is deeply rooted in racial politics. What is their mantra? is we time? "We" isn't about party but about race.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 26, 2014, 04:57:04 PM »
When I left T&T in the late 80's I was to young to vote. I have no political affiliation to any party. I must say that this is by far the worst Government in the history of T&T. In less than four years 12 ministers removed , infighting like a cheap soap opera , and worst of all corruption like never before. I truly believe that this Party has to go. If they win the next election T&T will be sent back 100 years. Please people of T&T forget about voting along racial lines and vote this embarrassment of a Government out.   

It good 4 we. We got a preview 1995-2001 but ignored it.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 26, 2014, 08:04:03 PM »
Can't wait for this woman's last 100 days.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 26, 2014, 09:12:33 PM »
Why are you all talking as if UNC losing the next election is a given? I could still see them winning over 20 seats next election. Tribe and bribe over rationality anyday. Not to mention the amount of money they thief, we gonna see a huge pr and campaign for the election. All that money they thief over these last 5 years gonna buffer the community for when they leave office anyway. They too smart.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 27, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »
Can't wait for this woman's last 100 days.....

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 27, 2014, 11:59:33 AM »
Why are you all talking as if UNC losing the next election is a given? I could still see them winning over 20 seats next election. Tribe and bribe over rationality anyday. Not to mention the amount of money they thief, we gonna see a huge pr and campaign for the election. All that money they thief over these last 5 years gonna buffer the community for when they leave office anyway. They too smart.

We live in hope. Hope is all we got.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 29, 2014, 06:01:49 AM »

Ah disagree.
PNM winning the 13 seats they have now (although St. Joseph is a marginal and any number could play but I would be surprised if the people there go back UNC so fast after the bye-election).  They winning both Tobago seats especially if Rowley is re-elected as Leader.  We clannish like that  ;D

They winning Sando East....dais how much 13+2+1 = 16.

Dey winning Toco, D'abadie/Omera, Arima (Penny or no Penny), so that's 16 + 3 = 19.  PNM only needs 2 more to win.  Those two seats could come from anywhere in the East-West Corridor (Tunapuna, San Juan/Barataria, St. Augustine) or somewhere South. 

Interesting times are ahead....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 29, 2014, 10:17:12 AM »
At best PNM going and crawl over the finish line. It not going to be any convincing victory. With that slim majority they gonna find it hard to pass needed legislation. The other side after having stolen everything gonna be sitting comfortably for the next 10+ years. If people only knew half the stuff that hasn't come out as yet, they will hold their heads and bawl...

A next thing. I watched that scene outside Parliament yesterday and I just laugh. They will forever use poor people in this country. Poor people only good to come out and protest and heckle parliamentarians. When is time to share contracts and share up the wealth of the country, poor people not around though. On one side is african and on the yellow side is east indians. The funny thing about it is that both these groups are not power brokers. Where were the trini whites, syrians, french creole and local chinese. When is time to get contracts, these are the people who benefit. It's time we demand that they make themselves known. We know they benefiting from the treasury as well. Time they come out and take sun too.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:20:00 AM by congo »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 29, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »

Ah disagree.
PNM winning the 13 seats they have now (although St. Joseph is a marginal and any number could play but I would be surprised if the people there go back UNC so fast after the bye-election).  They winning both Tobago seats especially if Rowley is re-elected as Leader.  We clannish like that  ;D

They winning Sando East....dais how much 13+2+1 = 16.

Dey winning Toco, D'abadie/Omera, Arima (Penny or no Penny), so that's 16 + 3 = 19.  PNM only needs 2 more to win.  Those two seats could come from anywhere in the East-West Corridor (Tunapuna, San Juan/Barataria, St. Augustine) or somewhere South. 

Interesting times are ahead....

These seats PNM can win

Constituency

Arima
Arouca/Maloney
Arouca North
Barataria / San Juan
D'Abadie Omera
Diego Martin Central
Diego Martin East
Diego Martin West
La Brea
La Horquetta/Talparo
Laventille East / Morvant
Laventille West
Lopinot/Bon AirWest
Moruga/Tableland
Ortoire / Mayaro
Point-a-Pierre

Point Fortin
Port of Spain North / St. Ann's West
Port of Spain South
St. Ann's East
St. Joseph
San Fernando East
San Fernando West
Tobago East
Tobago West
Toco / Manzanilla
Tunapuna

Them in bold it will b hard wuk but doable
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 01:56:03 PM by weary1969 »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 29, 2014, 05:55:45 PM »
At best PNM going and crawl over the finish line.

Dat eh nutten new. 

And is part of the reason why under a PNM government it is hard to get anything going especially in Parliament because the PNM usually have to rely on the UNC to pass legislation that requires more than a simple majority and de UNC routinely does not vote with PNM.  Is just oppose for opposing sake and as we see clearly now, they have no plans of their own when in government......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 29, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »
At best PNM going and crawl over the finish line.

Dat eh nutten new. 

And is part of the reason why under a PNM government it is hard to get anything going especially in Parliament because the PNM usually have to rely on the UNC to pass legislation that requires more than a simple majority and de UNC routinely does not vote with PNM.  Is just oppose for opposing sake and as we see clearly now, they have no plans of their own when in government......

Here how d UNC ridiculous the Police Reform legislation was there legislation by time it was ready 2 pass they were in opposition. U tink they vote 4 d Bill of course not because their role is to oppose. This includes opposing legislation you proposed initially.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 29, 2014, 06:10:10 PM »
I not sure allyuh realise how strong the tribe and bribe angle is yes.

There are seats that regardless of what...will not vote a certain way.

Before Local Govt elections last year...we were averaging a scandal every two weeks.

After that cutass.....you notice what it drop to? Not much escaping...not that not much happening..but they getting better at hiding it....cause they bracing for 2015...and hedging so at least no matter what certain people business fix.

I cant recall seeing posts about the NGC/WASA/SIS deal for the Water treatment plant. The back stories make it even more obvious.

But yet the tribalists..apologists....the sheep in this whole parody of Animal farm would baa as they told.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 29, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »
Exactly and by now we know the mo of the UNC and its cronies. We spinning in mud if we think PNM could make any sort of progress. I am done being the diplomat in this equation. It's time to fight fire with fire. Manning was too much of a diplomat. That whole party tries to be too diplomatic and please everyone. Life doesn't work that way. Time to fix house.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 29, 2014, 06:18:29 PM »
I not sure allyuh realise how strong the tribe and bribe angle is yes.

There are seats that regardless of what...will not vote a certain way.

Before Local Govt elections last year...we were averaging a scandal every two weeks.

After that cutass.....you notice what it drop to? Not much escaping...not that not much happening..but they getting better at hiding it....cause they bracing for 2015...and hedging so at least no matter what certain people business fix.

I cant recall seeing posts about the NGC/WASA/SIS deal for the Water treatment plant. The back stories make it even more obvious.

But yet the tribalists..apologists....the sheep in this whole parody of Animal farm would baa as they told.

Exactly..That money that they tucking away would keep their tribe cosy for the next couple of decades....You all see how long ISH and company fight court case for. That not cheap...Soon enough you'll be fighting serious economic warfare. SIS barely existed 4 years ago and they easily rivalling Junior Sammy today.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 29, 2014, 07:38:57 PM »
Exactly and by now we know the mo of the UNC and its cronies. We spinning in mud if we think PNM could make any sort of progress. I am done being the diplomat in this equation. It's time to fight fire with fire. Manning was too much of a diplomat. That whole party tries to be too diplomatic and please everyone. Life doesn't work that way. Time to fix house.

Rowley has been called many things but never a diplomat. That is when d election bell is sound this time I eh steupsing I just voting 2 make sure the candidate get back his deposit.

1]; } ?>