March 29, 2024, 06:03:23 AM

Author Topic: Immigrant vets face deportation despite service  (Read 13316 times)

truetrini

Re: Immigrant vets face deportation despite service
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2010, 03:16:36 PM »
By the way there are two Gulf era vets...1992 and present.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2010, 03:17:24 PM »
I said changign the law to grant or confer citizenship upopn enlistment..go back and re-read...doh hold yuh nose is not me farting.

Then maybe you need to learn to read for comprehension... I am not against changing the law for to confer citizenship for those who serve.  The issue here ACCORDING TO YOU, in case you forget, is that he should not be deported.  The only logical inference from this is that the 1996 law should not apply to him.  That is what I have been arguing against... so again, tell me what I'm "wrong" about?

By the way there are two Gulf era vets...1992 and present.

Please learn to read... I addressed that.

truetrini

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2010, 03:18:23 PM »
I said changign the law to grant or confer citizenship upopn enlistment..go back and re-read...doh hold yuh nose is not me farting.

Then maybe you need to learn to read for comprehension... I am not against changing the law for to confer citizenship for those who serve.  The issue here ACCORDING TO YOU, in case you forget, is that he should not be deported.  The only logical inference from this is that the 1996 law should not apply to him.  That is what I have been arguing against... so again, tell me what I'm "wrong" about?

I am a daft vet.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2010, 03:20:18 PM »
I am a daft vet.

That is evident from your posts.  Anything else you'd like to share with the group?

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2010, 04:51:21 PM »
Unfair law, unjust law, shit law. Needs to be struck down or amended.

But it is the law.

I knew of a fella born in JA, came Canada at the age of 3 or 4. Got into the wrong scence, got deported.

He was a stranger to his family in JA and had no friends. Was literally dumped at Manley.

A few months later he was stabbed to death.

A few years back immigration threatned to deport a 70-something year old Englishman who had been here before he was a teenager for smuggling guns. If you don't fix your business you can get in a lot of trouble.

In Canada even citizenship doh save yuh. You could be a day old when you get here but once you committ a crime your citizenship may be revoked and you can be booted out.

The excuse is because they were so 'generous' to admit you, you should be eternally grateful you are allowed to come up in their country and wipe their children's asses and clean their bedsheets.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:56:13 PM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2010, 07:48:48 PM »
allyuh fellas need to guh eat shit who talking bout unfair law. Immigration law is immigration law. dats why this is america and not trinidad or jamaica and everyone have to follow laws including politicians and police. Di man bruk di law I eh care if he is obama hornerman. ship he f**kin ass back. Allyuh think serving the military is a f**king easy way out? Ship him back felony is a felony simple facts dat. Immigration laws states " If you are not born  american and is found guilty for a felony after serving your time you will be deported. end of story . deport his f**kin ass ley him guh plant yellow yam innah Jamaica.

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »
 :D yes sah  War!  :beermug:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2010, 08:48:56 PM »
allyuh fellas need to guh eat shit who talking bout unfair law. Immigration law is immigration law. dats why this is america and not trinidad or jamaica and everyone have to follow laws including politicians and police. Di man bruk di law I eh care if he is obama hornerman. ship he f**kin ass back. Allyuh think serving the military is a f**king easy way out? Ship him back felony is a felony simple facts dat. Immigration laws states " If you are not born  american and is found guilty for a felony after serving your time you will be deported. end of story . deport his f**kin ass ley him guh plant yellow yam innah Jamaica.

war

If yuh refferring to my post give yuh head a shake and read again.

And doh play like North America is some perfect utopia, EVERYBODY is treated equally under the law.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2010, 09:27:24 PM »
As an OEF=OIF vet... someone who served the US as a green card holder at the time of deployment. I have to say no sympathy for this individual. It is a clear understanding that with your status you can and will face deportation if you break the law.... just because you went to a war does not give you grace...

Further more when I signed up... I took an oath to defend the US from all enemies foreign and domestic... He had a code of ethics to abide by as a soldier and a vet, he broke these codes... he is became part of the enemy when he decided to "distribute!"

"Climb to Glory" Hooah...

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2010, 09:50:38 PM »
As an OEF=OIF vet... someone who served the US as a green card holder at the time of deployment. I have to say no sympathy for this individual. It is a clear understanding that with your status you can and will face deportation if you break the law.... just because you went to a war does not give you grace...

Further more when I signed up... I took an oath to defend the US from all enemies foreign and domestic... He had a code of ethics to abide by as a soldier and a vet, he broke these codes... he is became part of the enemy when he decided to "distribute!"

yeah the law must be followed. too much A-holes in the community dealing and distributing.

but deporting criminals who spent their childhood or formative years over here is too much. especially when they have military training.

the caribbean and Jamaica especially doh need any more thugs running around, the burden on the system from home grown criminals is too much already

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2010, 06:15:32 AM »

yeah the law must be followed. too much A-holes in the community dealing and distributing.

but deporting criminals who spent their childhood or formative years over here is too much. especially when they have military training.

the caribbean and Jamaica especially doh need any more thugs running around, the burden on the system from home grown criminals is too much already

Zando leh me be frank eh... It's difficult to send and individual back to a country he or she has little or no ties with... after all if yuh live most of yuh life here... this is more of your country than yuh country of birth.

On de flip side... defending a country that you eh fully tied into is something that the individual has to get some commendation for. After all being a soldier is not yuh average nine tuh five... but at some point ah know he get that welcome to america letter or some body did inform him that being a permanent resident is a privilege and not a right... if yuh get ketch yuh going home.

I guess ah also little perturbed that is ah West Indian involved in drugs... because as a west indian dougla ah been getting that association with weed and coke since ah was a freshman in college..

(Once in college these white boys and koreans kept telling meh how ah know whey dey could find the good shit... and ah could give dem some because ah from de islands.... I grind up dry parsley, lemongrass, thai basil, hemp, tarragon and chardon benny (basically shyte ah find at the Korean mart) and give it to them to smoke under the guise that it was a special herb (the nooky toooky ah called it, and ah say it was shake out from meh large stash) ah mean they smoke it, even though after the first hit dey caught on that it was not weed, they still smoke it  :rotfl:)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:31:10 AM by Daft Trini »

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2010, 06:26:24 AM »
from recent news stories and talking to ppl there is an obvious strong push to deport these days and they are entitled to do so according to their laws.  if u are a green card holder and don't get citizenship doh complain if yuh screw up and get deported (i assuming they can't deport non US born citizens...i don't know much about US immigration laws).

a few months ago one of my friends cousin get deported to trinidad after being here for donkey years on ah either ah drugs or gun scene....and my friend was saying de US wrong caus ehis cousin eh have much family back home (he end up living with his grandmother).

another friend represented a jamaican guy a few weeks in court (immigration issues), basically dis yardie here on a green card for 20+ years, it could be longer but i can't remember all the details...he get hold nuff time for selling drugs and guns so they were about to deport him...de guy have AIDS so his lawyer defence was persecution back home in Jamaica (basically yardies associate AIDS with battymen so de fellah having AIDS will be considered gay and dey real homophobic in Jamaica so his life is at risk)...end result, de fellah escape deportation.

so it appears that deportation might be at all an all time high so ppl on green card/schol visas etc need to be more careful.

as for vets, dey get several benefits because of their status (deservedly so) but making special laws that applies to them only is wrong.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2010, 07:49:24 AM »
And again... pay particular attention to what I actually stated "what is SO specia about vets".  I never said that vets aren't special... but what is so special that they deserve to be treated differently under the law.  THIS is my position, don't confuse it to think that I don't think vets deserve some degree of special treatment.

Give me a break with this jingoistic bullshit.  The people who had no choice but to put their lives on hold and go fight in WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam is a different situation from today where Veterans make a conscious choice to go put their lives at risk, in exchange for a stable job, an opportunity for a career and benefits.  Nobody, but NOBODY join the military to go play hero and "protect America" and "fight for liberty" and other such red state slogans.  And if any of them do then they damn naive and foolish to let the military take advantage of the exuberance and pimp them like that.

By no means do I intend to diminish the hazards they face, nor diminish the personal sacrifices they are taking... but again, it's a conscious choice.  Why stop at veterans?  Peace Corps volunteers also serve their country.  What about missionaries?  In some cases their service might be considered a higher calling, and under even more hazardous conditions when you consider the hostility they encounter while proselytizing.  What about cops and Firemen?  They deserve a pass too?

Again I ask, what SO special about veterans that we must create a second tier of laws just for them.  I won't even touch on the unconstitutionality of that proposal.

i was only addressing your question "what is so special about vets?".  And I answered that. And how in the hell does "rolling in their graves" translate to "jingoism"?

However, you did clarifying your comment and I never argued that they should be granted special treatment treatment under the law. The law is the law but laws are not static and in this case, some (including me) would suggest a review of the immigration laws with respect to people who have been raised in the US, never naturalized and found guilty of criminal behaviour.

btw: many Canadian vets who fought in WWI and WWII volunteered and were not forced to go. 

As much as I may be called a Pacifist, I have always maintained we need a military presence and the people who join the military know that they may be required to serve in combat. You might view a stint in the military as a stable job, but many will disagree with you.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2010, 10:24:18 AM »

war

And doh play like North America is some perfect utopia, EVERYBODY is treated equally under the law.

No zan I eh refering to yur post dats why I didnt quote yu brother..
War
Black Lives Matter..

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2010, 10:48:37 AM »
He should have started his naturalization the minute he left boot camp. I did it and it happened for me within 3 months.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2010, 04:52:57 PM »

war

No zan I eh refering to yur post dats why I didnt quote yu brother..
War

Cool breeze pardner  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2010, 10:11:24 PM »
i was only addressing your question "what is so special about vets?".  And I answered that. And how in the hell does "rolling in their graves" translate to "jingoism"?

Actually you didn't answer anything, you only mouthed more of the same "they put their lives on the line for me" pablum that others were saying.  Your statement is paramount to jingoism because of the overly emotional pandering to patriotism inherent in the unnecessary defense of veterans.  "Unnecessary" because you read an attack into my statement that wasn't there.  You claim I "elaborated" when in fact all I did was bolded the "so" in my earlier statement, since it clearly was being overlooked in a knee-jerk response to the perceived under-appreciation of the service of war veterans.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2010, 06:01:47 AM »

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Dat is what I saying all this time. I guess ah shudda add some better language fuh some tuh understand.

Glad to see there arre so many Vets here. If any of you need some assistance ensuring you get your benefits please contact me. Even if you do not know if you are entitled.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2010, 06:08:31 AM »
He should have started his naturalization the minute he left boot camp. I did it and it happened for me within 3 months.

As I told them before I also got mine in 3mths. He slacked off and then mess up.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2010, 07:32:57 AM »

Actually you didn't answer anything, you only mouthed more of the same "they put their lives on the line for me" pablum that others were saying.  Your statement is paramount to jingoism because of the overly emotional pandering to patriotism inherent in the unnecessary defense of veterans.  "Unnecessary" because you read an attack into my statement that wasn't there.  You claim I "elaborated" when in fact all I did was bolded the "so" in my earlier statement, since it clearly was being overlooked in a knee-jerk response to the perceived under-appreciation of the service of war veterans.

my answer - you call it pablum, I call it respect
knee-jerk response  - correct
perceived under-appreciation of the service of vets - yes that is what I perceived in your initial question "what's so special about vets?"
jingoism - nah man.  Here is Oxford's definition of jingoism: n. Extreme nationalism characterized especially by a belligerent foreign policy; chauvinistic patriotism.  My opinions about vets are not characterized by that definition.

Just curious - should we continue to celebrate holidays such as Remembrance Day or Memorial Day given that vets are not special?

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2010, 08:05:56 AM »

perceived under-appreciation of the service of vets - yes that is what I perceived in your initial question "what's so special about vets?"
jingoism - nah man.  Here is Oxford's definition of jingoism: n. Extreme nationalism characterized especially by a belligerent foreign policy; chauvinistic patriotism.  My opinions about vets are not characterized by that definition.

Just curious - should we continue to celebrate holidays such as Remembrance Day or Memorial Day given that vets are not special?

Pecs, I'm not aligning myself with any side here but I don't think Bakes is saying that vets aren't special...I think, for the most part, he respects and appreciates the efforts of those who have served and continue to serve in the armed forces.  However, what I think he takes issue with is  the grand  feeling  of entitlement that some vets adopt for performing a service that  is now a voluntary undertaking...but I could be wrong...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:16:37 AM by Michael-j »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »

I'm not sure of the relevance of this question... not only because it doesn't follow from any of my statements; but also because I already answered it in response to TC.

Pecs, I'm not aligning myself with any side here but I don't think Bakes is saying that vets aren't special...I think, for the most part, he respects and appreciates the efforts of those who have served and continue to serve in the armed forces.  However, what I think he takes issue with is  the grand  feeling  of entitlement that some vets adopt for performing a service that  is now a voluntary undertaking...but I could be wrong...

Correct.... except my issue isn't with the Vets themselves, but with the argument here that the deportation law shouldn't apply to them as it does to everyone else.  A lesser issue I have is with those who automatically annoint all veterans as "heros" based not on their actual deeds, but the mere fact that they wore a uniform.  I don't necessarily think that's the case.

truetrini

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2010, 08:45:48 AM »
if a house is burning and I volunteer to go in and save 2 children does thast diminish my undertaking?

Because it is an all voluntary military is what makes it special, signing up to serve under no duress is much better than be forced to.

Steups.

And yes Vets should NOT be deported.  That is something that should NOT happen to a veteran.  Never should it happen.

The talk about taking 3 months to get naturalized is a new phenomomon.  And it has happened only because non citizen military people were dying fighting for this country, (whatever the reason for the fighting) and THE people felt that they deserved the right to be citizens.

Before it took 3 years of military service before you could become a citizen 3 facking years!  It has only been 3 months for those who have been recent enlistees.

Now recruiters tell enlistees "Join the military, be a citizen in 6 months!"

Even non green card holders, who have been here for 2 years are being afforded citizenship in 6 months if they enlist.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:49 AM »

I hear you and agree that some vets have a feeling of entitlement. I acknowledge that my response was knee-jerk, but it was difficult to resist responding the perceived generalization embodied in the question "what is so special about vets?" and the inference is that there is nothing special about vets. Here is the inside story to my reaction.  Two months ago I had to render first aid to an 89 year old Veteran of WWII - he was RAF. He suffered a heart attack while we were having a conversation about the bombing of St. Paul's Cathedral in London.  This is a man I admire greatly so when he gets painted with the same perceived brush, yes, I get emotional.  That is how I am.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:51:16 AM by pecan »

truetrini

« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2010, 08:50:56 AM »
http://blogs.chron.com/immigration/archives/2010/01/post_337.html

Immigrant soldiers get fast track to citizenship
The Department of Homeland Security today announced new rules that reduce the time requirement for naturalization through military service from three years to one year for applicants who have served since Sept. 11.

DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano also said today that members of the U.S. Armed Forces reserves are now elgible for the quicker route to citizenship.

The U.S. has allowed immigrants who serve in the military a fast track to apply for citizenship. Ordinarily a legal immigrant has to be in the U.S. for at least five years before applying for naturalization. Up until this most recent rule change, immigrants serving in he armed forces had to wait three years before seeking citizenship

And Pecan, Vets are made promises by the country..serve and this is what will happen..only to come home and find it is not so...steups

Things change all the time, I am not sure which Vets have a "feeling of entitlement,"  They often fight for what was promised thats all.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2010, 08:57:50 AM »

The Department of Homeland Security today announced new rules that reduce the time requirement for naturalization through military service from three years to one year for applicants who have served since Sept. 11.

DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano also said today that members of the U.S. Armed Forces reserves are now elgible for the quicker route to citizenship.

The U.S. has allowed immigrants who serve in the military a fast track to apply for citizenship. Ordinarily a legal immigrant has to be in the U.S. for at least five years before applying for naturalization. Up until this most recent rule change, immigrants serving in he armed forces had to wait three years before seeking citizenship

And Pecan, Vets are made promises by the country..serve and this is what will happen..only to come home and find it is not so...steups

Things change all the time, I am not sure which Vets have a "feeling of entitlement,"  They often fight for what was promised thats all.

Speculation on my part based on anecdotal observations regarding the notion of entitlement as a god-given right (pun intended) that is permeating society - from unions to non-for-profit social groups to religious groups to special cause groups to any group who feel they entitled to whatever they feel entitled to.

So i conclude that the Vets are no different and there will be members who feel that because they serve the country, they should be entitled to more than is deserved.

I agree that vets should not be deported - but to do so, the laws have to change.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2010, 09:00:38 AM »
Bush had pass a bill fast tracking military immigrants naturalization paper work. I am to lazy to look it up, but it's there on the web somewhere, if anyone wants search for it.

truetrini

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »
Bush had pass a bill fast tracking military immigrants naturalization paper work. I am to lazy to look it up, but it's there on the web somewhere, if anyone wants search for it.

ahh boy, regardless eh, the man was pre Bush era...read the ting nah.

truetrini

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2010, 09:31:15 AM »

Speculation on my part based on anecdotal observations regarding the notion of entitlement as a god-given right (pun intended) that is permeating society - from unions to non-for-profit social groups to religious groups to special cause groups to any group who feel they entitled to whatever they feel entitled to.

So i conclude that the Vets are no different and there will be members who feel that because they serve the country, they should be entitled to more than is deserved.

I agree that vets should not be deported - but to do so, the laws have to change.

The law will change ..watch and see.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2010, 10:47:08 AM »

ahh boy, regardless eh, the man was pre Bush era...read the ting nah.
I was just pointing out the bill for whoever was interestedin knowing about the new rule being military. I understand what yuh saying about him being pre bush era.

1]; } ?>