June 14, 2024, 03:18:13 AM

Author Topic: 2013 Secondary Schools Football League Thread.  (Read 74171 times)

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Secondary Schools Football League Thread.
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »
To be fair, the SSFL is probably the last set ah football where these guys might experience some joy...there was a very good turn out for the double header in south, Henry would have played for T&TEC in the pro league a few months ago in front of no one, but yesterday he was playing in front of a "big" crowd in Skinner Park. Maybe the big coaches in Trini,  much like Angus with Naps - should focus on the SSFL and really develop the players and quality of the game? The truth is the colleges league is still where most players in Trini are discovered...and, at least in south they getting some crowds..big up to Central FC, their staff members were at the game scouting for talent!

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2013, 08:36:48 PM »
SSFL is a joke... full of "big players" who end up nowhere.... its not really their fault.. we dont have enough options for them after School... the sad part is some of them are 18 and 19 and playing that for 2 months and that is their big season...meanwhile kids like Oscar playing week in week out at Chelsea

I think SSFL should make it an Under 17 league... when you turn 18, go away to Uni or go to a local club and become Pro...or get a foreign contract 

Most of them fellas who hugging up with the exception of the english yuteman in yuh signature pic was ssfl 'big players'. If we listening to men like you that photo might never exist. P.S.  St Anthony's Tigers all the way.

Think how many more we've lost..... I would say 70% or more of SSFL players end up doing nothing in a football capacity after Intercol

People treat it like the be all end all ... like if it is f**king Champions League ...the level is shit

They need a reality check...majority get big headed and think they've made it.....

I love SSFL, it is the closest thing we have to the real thing in terms of passion and pride...but the reality is the level is not as good as people make it out to be and we keep some players who are special in it way too long when they should be playing Pro Football locally or abroad...

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »
SSFL is a joke... full of "big players" who end up nowhere.... its not really their fault.. we dont have enough options for them after School... the sad part is some of them are 18 and 19 and playing that for 2 months and that is their big season...meanwhile kids like Oscar playing week in week out at Chelsea

I think SSFL should make it an Under 17 league... when you turn 18, go away to Uni or go to a local club and become Pro...or get a foreign contract

Banter Banton --- That's not quite true.  I can't speak about all the schools, but I know for a fact that most of the players who played for Pres Sando back in the 1980s and early 1990s are doing quite well...doctors, lawyers, professors, coaches, businessmen, and all-round productive and successful members of society.  And I believe one of them even played in the World Cup in 2006.

Yes, I know you're probably judging success by which player becomes a football force to be reckoned with,  and gets a contract to play for Barca or ManU or  big teams like those after they leave the SSFL...but it's also great to see former players go on to academia in University and excel in other ways also.  Remember, playing football helps not just to build great players...but it also helps to build character...leadership...and strategic thinking. 

There's indeed quite a bit of success AFTER the SSFL by our former players. 
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 09:56:50 PM »
dont like the premier zone

what is the reason?

To try to improve the product of the league?

travel distance will go up and rivalries will be lost.

El do might not play green machine
no Fatima St mary's

This premier league was kind of like the "big" league they used to have at theend of the season in the past with the winners playing against each other.

sometimes change is not a good thing 

Actually the Premier League was around for ages.
They conveniently got rid of it in the late 80s when it looked like Fatima, QRC (I think Saints too) were going to get demoted. They they came up with a zonal league.

VB

vb --- You're quite right.  I remember in the 1980s they use to call it the 'Championship league' (or something like that).  The 2nd tier teams in each zones were called 'Senior Teams', and they would try to qualify for the Championship league. 

I believe that the teams that finished in the bottom 2-3 spots in the Championship league in each zone would be relegated to the Senior leagues the following year.   

Anyway, the teams in the Championship leagues in each zone would battle each other during the regular course of the season in the zonal matches, with the winner of each of the four zones (South, North, East, and Tobago) making the final 4, vying for the Intercol Title.

The changes in 2014 though similar in format to the 1980s in terms of the addition of the relegation system, is a bit different from the 1980s since this new format will have regular season clashes between teams regardless of zones.  In the 1980s, even with the 2-tier league system, the regular season clashes were played within each zone.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:07:53 PM by OutsideMan »
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »

what is the reason?

no Fatima St mary's

This premier league was kind of like the "big" league they used to have at theend of the season in the past with the winners playing against each other.

They conveniently got rid of it in the late 80s when it looked like Fatima, QRC (I think Saints too) were going to get demoted. They they came up with a zonal league.

VB

vb --- You're quite right.  I remember in the 1980s they use to call it the 'Championship league' (or something like that).  The 2nd tier teams in each zones were called 'Senior Teams', and they would try to qualify for the Championship league. 

I believe that the teams that finished in the bottom 2-3 spots in the Championship league in each zone would be relegated to the Senior leagues the following year.   

Anyway, the teams in the Championship leagues in each zone would battle each other during the regular course of the season in the zonal matches, with the winner of each of the four zones (South, North, East, and Tobago) making the final 4, vying for the Intercol Title.

The changes in 2014 though similar in format to the 1980s in terms of the addition of relegation, is a bit different from the 1980s since this new format will have regular season clashes between teams regardless of zones.  In the 1980s, even with the 2-tier league system, the regular season clashes were played within each zone.

the championship division was the same as the zonal division we currently have and the last place team was relegated to the senior grade division (by zone) as is being done right now.  the 2014 proposed premier division was not around in the 1980s.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »

what is the reason?

no Fatima St mary's

VB

The changes in 2014 though similar in format to the 1980s in terms of the addition of relegation, is a bit different from the 1980s since this new format will have regular season clashes between teams regardless of zones.  In the 1980s, even with the 2-tier league system, the regular season clashes were played within each zone.

the championship division was the same as the zonal division we currently have and the last place team was relegated to the senior grade division (by zone) as is being done right now.  the 2014 proposed premier division was not around in the 1980s.

@Nightmare --- Correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought they got rid of the relegation system in the SSFL over 20 years ago.  I don't live there, but that's what I've heard. 

So you'e saying that the Championship Division and the relegation Senior Division system is still in place in the SSFL?

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 10:24:04 PM »
yeah Outside Man..they still relegate to and promote from the senior grade division. 

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 03:07:48 AM »

what is the reason?

no Fatima St mary's

Better quality...yeah, travel would be tougher on the boys, but I think this should be the format.  Forget about rivalries; the objective is to raise the standard of the league.

End of boys playing football for their schools and passing exams

Why?

In my day that's the way it was. They passed and some got scholarships.
Nobody does criticize the cricket league. And those games does take two days to play. Fatima used to have to go to places like Barrackport and Sanfernando - and they passed their exams - except Lara.  ;D
Yuh writing without thinking again

Name the schools bright boy.
Once is only the bad boy schools involved and that will happen.
No pres, no buller boy fagima, no buller boy 2 cic, no naparima.......no qrc.

is ptown, mucurapo, green machine, white boy senior sec st anthonys et al.

i still maintain there must be some minimum standard of academics school footballers should achieve, man in 5th form at 17, 18 and playing for sec schools. de football might be better but it will be just like any other football league in tt man just playing football an nutten else.

this plan is bullshyte.

I'm surprised that you would exhibit your ignorance ins such a manner.

Off the top of my head - Garnet Craig, Anton Corneal, G. Rodgriguez, R. Simmons (Fatima). Dexter Skeene, Henderson (CIC), Edgar Vidale's son (Naparima). Veron Skinner (I think Trinity)
I'm sure there were more but you talking 30 years ago. I was a yute and not really up on the early days of the CFL and certainly the fellas from South.

VB

Again yuh writing without thinking.

Yuh posted that a man stay out of school for 7 months and end up playing for st anthonys.
football for those schools more important than academics,
Also yuh talking about the fatima team of the 80's most of the players were in 6th form so they had o'levels, the john d team was made of men who were doing auto craft (mechanics)  and also had guys doing tech courses.
The point i'm making is that this new 8 or 12 team "premier" league will just be made up of schools that have purely football player that may only be able to sign thier names and not be able to read newspapers .
dispute that fact without talking about football before the advent of the senior secs....
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 04:50:08 AM »
My English is really simple.
There was a Prem league in the 80s and 70s. Men got their As and went to University. If it happened before it can happen now.

Now they may not come from Mucurapo or San Juan or where ever but it will continue.

Yes Woo Ling went to St. Antony's. So what? Fatima has usually had those kind of standards (except for Lara ;-)_.

I really can't simplify it anymore for you.
What Fatima would do is let you enter based on sports IF you had the grades. G. Rodriguez was an example of this.

In the old days the Sports Master was allowed to pick two men for Form VI based on sports providing they had their passes. But I don't know if that's still allowed.

Fatima may suffer becz we don't "play the game" like everybody else in terms of acceptance. But as the 1979, 80 and 81 teams showed it's very doable.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 07:02:23 AM »
yeah Outside Man..they still relegate to and promote from the senior grade division. 

Oh ho....I think its this relegate and promote thing I was thinking of earlier.....oh well ah see mih team done gone down to Speyside(??)  already.....*sigh*  Whey Bertille??  ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 07:45:58 AM »
Well the SSFL does not hover aroung  POS and Sando anymore. Times have changed and allyuh must change with the times. I iz ah QRC man. A proverbial "blue blood", but my school for what ever reason eh into senior football as much as before. I see their U-15 and 17s doing well then at senior level we struggle. We used to have rugby, hockey, cricket, TF. Only TF and now bball seem to be the go to games for my almer mater. With this premier league, I see the writing on the wall for them. What I honestly feel the SSFL should do, is to open up the intercol competition to all divisions. Premier and senior. They did it for Saints when they went down.  Also it for at the senior compre, high schools and colleges. At least you will see some of the old rivalries.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 08:43:11 AM »
Winning start for Caps,Tigers in SSFL
By Roger Seepersad (Express).

Defending BGTT Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) North Zone champions St Anthony’s College opened their 2013 campaign in style with a 3-0 victory over Fatima College at St Anthony’s Ground, Westmoorings yesterday.

Kadeem Corbin, Kwesi Allen and Trevin Latapy all got onto the scoresheet for the “Tigers”, as they bounced back from a 5-4 loss against Carapichaima East Secondary for the Ormond Gabriel Cup on the opening day of the League on Thursday.

Following up from their Ormond Cup victory, Caps continued their winning ways with a 4-1 win over Tabaquite Secondary at Ato Boldon Stadium in Balmain Couva in their opening League match in the Central Zone.

Larry Brown scored a brace for the defending League champions, opening the scoring in the 45th before converting a penalty in the 59th.

Tabaquite draw level after Brown’s opening goal with Andre Gonzales’ 51st minute item, but could not beat the Carapichaima defence for the remainder of the encounter.

Aaron Kennedy and Joshua Eneau completed the scoring for Caps in the 81st and 83rd minutes respectively.

Elsewhere Queen’s Royal College edged newly-promoted Malick Secondary 2-1 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium training ground yesterday.

After a 0-0 half-time score, QRC upped the tempo in the second half with Josh Williams scoring twice. Antonio Calliste scored the lone goal for Malick.

In the East, Aaron Auguste scored a hat-trick to lead El Dorado East Secondary to a 7-0 drubbing of Valencia Secondary, while newcomers Mayaro Secondary upset Pleasantville Secondary 2-0 in the South Zone.

Yesterday’s BGTT SSFL Scores:

North

St Anthony’s 3 (Kadeem Corbin 36th, Kwesi Allen 44th, Trevin Latapy [Pen.] 90th) vs Fatima College 0
Malick Secondary 1 (Antonio Calliste 1) vs QRC 2 (Josh Williams 2)

East

Valencia 0 vs El Dorado West 7 (Aaron Auguste 60th, 75th, 80th, Brian De Verteuil 22nd, 49th, Keshun Seecharan 14th, 19th)

Central

Carapichaima East 4 (Larry Brown 45th, [Pen. 59th], Aaron Kennedy 81st, Joshua Eneau 83rd) vs Tabaquite 1 (Andre Gonzales 51st)

South

Mayaro 2 (Randy Hughes 43rd, Moriba Des Cartes 70th) vs Pleasantville 0

Tobago

Bishop’s High 2 (Burton Patrick 28th, Shane King 75th) vs Roxborough 1 (Junior Antoine 19th)

Pentecostal Light and Life 1 (Jokiah Leacock 23rd) vs Goodwood 1 (Kyle Wright 17th)
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2013, 12:18:25 PM »

Most of them fellas who hugging up with the exception of the english yuteman in yuh signature pic was ssfl 'big players'. If we listening to men like you that photo might never exist. P.S.  St Anthony's Tigers all the way.

Think how many more we've lost..... I would say 70% or more of SSFL players end up doing nothing in a football capacity after Intercol

People treat it like the be all end all ... like if it is f**king Champions League ...the level is shit

They need a reality check...majority get big headed and think they've made it.....

I love SSFL, it is the closest thing we have to the real thing in terms of passion and pride...but the reality is the level is not as good as people make it out to be and we keep some players who are special in it way too long when they should be playing Pro Football locally or abroad...

Banter,

you are correct. But you cannot underestimate people's passion and love for what they are connected to.

There are some Div 2 clubs in England that easilly get over 20 000 at a game. I was told this by some British fellas when I was in Afghanistan. One fella (forget the name of the club now but a few Trinis play for it) say his club was around div. 2 at the time, built a state of the art stadium on the outskirts of London when the town is and 40 000 at games was no problem for them.

Before the 2006 WC Shaka said amongst his best football memories was playing for saints in the CFL just because of the atmosphere and this was a Premiership footballer speaking.

Yes you right. But when there is a passion connected to your school the kind that can EMBARRASS  the PFl in terms of attendance - these things will happen. These guys need to study, waste less time with the lesser teams and let the best play the best. Meet the minnows in intercol.

I cool with the best playing the best. I wasn't cool with Sando and JohnD practically forming professional youth teams. They was overdoing it.

VB

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »

Banter,

you are correct. But you cannot underestimate people's passion and love for what they are connected to.

There are some Div 2 clubs in England that easilly get over 20 000 at a game. I was told this by some British fellas when I was in Afghanistan. One fella (forget the name of the club now but a few Trinis play for it) say his club was around div. 2 at the time, built a state of the art stadium on the outskirts of London when the town is and 40 000 at games was no problem for them.

Before the 2006 WC Shaka said amongst his best football memories was playing for saints in the CFL just because of the atmosphere and this was a Premiership footballer speaking.

Yes you right. But when there is a passion connected to your school the kind that can EMBARRASS  the PFl in terms of attendance - these things will happen. These guys need to study, waste less time with the lesser teams and let the best play the best. Meet the minnows in intercol.

I cool with the best playing the best. I wasn't cool with Sando and JohnD practically forming professional youth teams. They was overdoing it.

VB

VB you spot on man, I was "invited" to come in and meet some gentlemen who represent a certain school in south. In the meeting I began impressing upon them the opportunity to elevate their school to the days of old when they were once the standard for college's league football. I start to talk about the use of the media, reinvigorating the Alumni and by extension - their supporters, emphasis on building a program that does not end at the final whilst of the final game of the season, but rather -  a year round program that involves strength and conditioning - continued development in the "of-season" resulting in a better brand in August......establishment of an academy, tournaments involving teams from outside Trini, camps, establishing events and fund raising committees, hosting of combines involving US university coaches so these players understand that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, etc. Sadly all these men wanted to talk about about is whether I would use ah a 4-4-2 or ah 4-5-1. The extent of their ambition was limited to beating south team X,Y,Z this season! They just didn't get the concept that there is so much more to be achieved given the brand that is still - secondary schools football. Needless to say the talk went stale!

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »
 Once they go with this premiership nonsense schools football will end up like the pro league.
People will lose interest.

stupidness

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »
Once they go with this premiership nonsense schools football will end up like the pro league.

stupidness
I'd rather watch the standard of youth football improve than count how many Convent girls near de rhythm section.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »
The problem, with my limited experience of school football, is that the whole philosophy and structure of school football is determining the standard of football in the ProLeague and the national team.

On countless occasions, posters here laud the youth academies at Barca or Real or Man U without recognising that those time consuming and expensive programmes are what's missing in T&T.

I have no problem with youngsters playing school football. To me, it's an absolute must.

However, once students reach 16, if they are talented, they should enter professional football. Now, there are provisos. If the student genuinely wants to pursue their education, then an overseas scholarship should be sought. Or maybe you could still have a watered down under 17 competition?

Next, the school football season should last much longer. Yes, I know schools want to play cricket, but there is no reason why football can't take place on Friday evenings and cricket on Saturdays.

Next, any student over the age of 16 who wants to return to school to play football, must attend a minimum 75% of classes. (I know of several top players who play school football, but do not attend classes.) There should also be a measure of players' grades to determine if schools are recruiting players without focusing on their education.

I have seen with my own eyes talented players between 16-19 playing school football for 3 months rather than play professional football. Why is this a problem? Those three years are where raw talent turns into professionalism. I don't believe schools deliver anywhere near the same standard of coaching as professional clubs. Basics like keeping shape, tracking back, running off the ball, defensive responsibilities of strikers, attacking responsibilities of defenders etc

I can state that a guy who was Intercol top scorer for two consecutive seasons, when he turned professional had the shock of his life. The game is faster, more physical, more concentration is needed, more discipline. The training is much harder and intensive. Life away from the training field is more disciplined. Football against schoolkids is nothing like football against seasoned professional men.

I would be interested to know how many of T&T's top players in the last 10 years came through Intercol. I would love to know that statistic.

If only we could nurture this talent at 14, develop it from 16, by age 18 we'd have fast, strong youthmen knocking on Stephen Harts door.

Now I don't necessarily blame schools for this situation. I've spoken to players who, I know, could get contracts in UK if they play half a dozen ProLeague games before age 17. It appears that Intercol is more glamorous and less hard work than professional football. The fame, the girls, the easy life. But these are just kids. Someone needs to explain that once they reach 19, many of them will not be good enough to earn a living from football, certainly not overseas. They're throwing away what could be their only chance of a decent career.

Imagine if everywhere was the same. Perhaps there would be no Messi, no Rooney, no Walcott. Or more to the point, maybe T&T would have had their own Walcott or another Yorke, Stern John, Kenwyne Jones, Sancho or Kelvin Jack ??   

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 01:11:18 AM »

stupidness
I'd rather watch the standard of youth football improve than count how many Convent girls near de rhythm section.

No way schools football could improve the standard of youth football. what is going to change?

It's unbeleivable that people cannot see what this " premier league " is really about.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 01:22:19 AM »
The problem, with my limited experience of school football, is that the whole philosophy and structure of school football is determining the standard of football in the ProLeague and the national team.

On countless occasions, posters here laud the youth academies at Barca or Real or Man U without recognising that those time consuming and expensive programmes are what's missing in T&T.

I have no problem with youngsters playing school football. To me, it's an absolute must.

However, once students reach 16, if they are talented, they should enter professional football. Now, there are provisos. If the student genuinely wants to pursue their education, then an overseas scholarship should be sought. Or maybe you could still have a watered down under 17 competition?

Next, the school football season should last much longer. Yes, I know schools want to play cricket, but there is no reason why football can't take place on Friday evenings and cricket on Saturdays.

Next, any student over the age of 16 who wants to return to school to play football, must attend a minimum 75% of classes. (I know of several top players who play school football, but do not attend classes.) There should also be a measure of players' grades to determine if schools are recruiting players without focusing on their education.I have seen with my own eyes talented players between 16-19 playing school football for 3 months rather than play professional football. Why is this a problem? Those three years are where raw talent turns into professionalism. I don't believe schools deliver anywhere near the same standard of coaching as professional clubs. Basics like keeping shape, tracking back, running off the ball, defensive responsibilities of strikers, attacking responsibilities of defenders etc

I can state that a guy who was Intercol top scorer for two consecutive seasons, when he turned professional had the shock of his life. The game is faster, more physical, more concentration is needed, more discipline. The training is much harder and intensive. Life away from the training field is more disciplined. Football against schoolkids is nothing like football against seasoned professional men.

I would be interested to know how many of T&T's top players in the last 10 years came through Intercol. I would love to know that statistic.

If only we could nurture this talent at 14, develop it from 16, by age 18 we'd have fast, strong youthmen knocking on Stephen Harts door.

Now I don't necessarily blame schools for this situation. I've spoken to players who, I know, could get contracts in UK if they play half a dozen ProLeague games before age 17. It appears that Intercol is more glamorous and less hard work than professional football. The fame, the girls, the easy life. But these are just kids. Someone needs to explain that once they reach 19, many of them will not be good enough to earn a living from football, certainly not overseas. They're throwing away what could be their only chance of a decent career.

Imagine if everywhere was the same. Perhaps there would be no Messi, no Rooney, no Walcott. Or more to the point, maybe T&T would have had their own Walcott or another Yorke, Stern John, Kenwyne Jones, Sancho or Kelvin Jack ??   

Good observation.

Most of the national footballers came and still come out of the school system.
Now with the advent of this "premier league" it will make it even more glamorous for them play for the schools and pick up real bad habits, learn nothing in school and then when they hit 19 look for a spot in the proleague or get paid running around the island playing in minor leagues.

You are correct if we want to develop youth football academies are the solution or even 1 academy that all the proleague teams contribute to and then have a draft system to pick them when they come of age or attain the standard necessary.

Schools in trinidad and tobago have become battlegrounds and part of the reason for this is because less and less people care about the product that comes out of them.
So forumites here that think this new development is good for youth football are missing the bigger picture. Football and sports are just a part of what the student should be going to school for not ALL.

Check our latest hero Jehue Gordon

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 09:15:30 AM »
The SSFL is not responsible for the development of youth football to the point where they can go right into a pro-team(local or otherwise). There are exception to the rule where each year or every 2 yrs a player or players of exceptional ability will surface from whatever school and go abraod and shine. Then eveybody will say' Look', he is a SSFL product. But type of development is not good for TT on the international circuit. The SSFL product is for the entertainment of the students and fans of high school football and I would say, university scouts in the US. Not the pro scouts in US and England.

The pro-league has to come better than that. If the proleague wants 15 year olds to play ball, they either build their own schools or have some kind of agreement with a school or schools to have their youth players attend school. They also have to have some kind of guarantee of employment, or further education or technical skills if they don't make it at the pro-level. If the parents don't see that, the pro-league will be constantly swimming upstream.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »
"They also have to have some kind of guarantee of employment, or further education or technical skills"

Deeks, yuh mean the ProLeague should do what the schools should be doing.....educate?

I agree that there should be a football academy that educates as well as develops. But this should be from age 14. At the moment, lets focus on the schools actually ensuring that their students benefit from staying in school to play football. Minimum grades, attendances etc.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2013, 02:53:49 PM »
Deeks, yuh mean the ProLeague should do what the schools should be doing.....educate?

If you have your own school you can dictate what they do. You have total supervision over the youth. You probably interact much better with the parent(s). Time utilization is critical at this stage, and the clubs  education specialist will be there to keep on top of them.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2013, 10:38:18 PM »

If you have your own school you can dictate what they do. You have total supervision over the youth. You probably interact much better with the parent(s). Time utilization is critical at this stage, and the clubs  education specialist will be there to keep on top of them.

Exactly. An academy has to be residential. You have to isolate them from the culture on the streets. What they eat, what they watch. It sounds harsh, but that's what is needed.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 06:40:05 AM »

Exactly. An academy has to be residential. You have to isolate them from the culture on the streets. What they eat, what they watch. It sounds harsh, but that's what is needed.

FS, it is not harsh. Which you think is harsher, a sport academy which strict discipline or Golden Grove with strict discipline?

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2013, 07:37:36 AM »
We have huge problems as a nation and as fans when we place so much emphasis on the SSFL.

Firstly, as far as I know, there are no football academies in Trinidad and Tobago, the SSFL is an extra curricular activity, it isn't football first, school after....regardless of how many schools do it in reverse.

School supposed to be a learning ground for either academics or technical vocation, with sports and other activities being put in to build a better citizen. Folks here talking about SSFL like it supposed to be all about football all through the year. amwood spoke of many good things, but to the wrong audience. Schools' football is exactly what it is....school football. It isn't pro, semi pro or even serious football for that matter. For the vast majority of SSFL players, they won't even make a pro league team, go on scholarship or do anything of note in football....but they will always be able to tell their friends/children, aye, I play for Fatima, St Benedicts..etc.

If allyuh want d standard of football improve....do d academy thing....d SSFL is not for that.

As for the premier league thing.....didn't like it at first. But it will provide a lot of small positives. I know some town ppl who have never been to south in dey life....and vice versa. Know yuh country tour via ssfl? East life different to central life....know yuh ppl tour via ssfl? Travel to south from town and loss and hadda travel back with yuh team vex and sour in d maxi.....build character tour via ssfl? Only playing teams in yuh zone.....meet some new ppl via ssfl?

Again, its SCHOOL football, not a football school....no La Masia here.....let the kids enjoy it. I had a hell of a time....and one of my school teams was level mess.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
talk like ah boss dey

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »
Allyuh must remember that the original CFL started with a premier division until they started adding more schools. So home and away football is nothing new to the SSFL. Intercol knock was always run on a zone basis. This format, I think they should keep.

Road travel in TT is a friggin' nightmare, so quite rightly there was a switch to zones for the league competition. I hope these school know that if they playing away, the team may have to miss school to go to a games. Don't leave POS  12:30 and expect to reach Sando by 2:30 for a 4:30 game. I have experienced that in my time. And then what about the Tobago teams.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:01:43 PM by Deeks »

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2013, 03:58:12 PM »
Pres Sando leading P'ville by 2 nil right now.  Game almost done.

Offline Banter Banton

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »
A RAZA TAZ !

CIC were 3-2 down at Fatima in the 88th and turned it around with 2 late late goals to win it 4-3

2 games, 2 wins..The Saints go Marching on...meanwhile the yellow and blue shithongs bottom of the table with 0 !

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2013, 06:03:58 PM »
A RAZA TAZ !

CIC were 3-2 down at Fatima in the 88th and turned it around with 2 late late goals to win it 4-3

2 games, 2 wins..The Saints go Marching on...meanwhile the yellow and blue shithongs bottom of the table with 0 !

We never play well against Bullers.

1]; } ?>