March 18, 2024, 08:47:24 PM

Author Topic: Who should the new PM name Minister of Sport?  (Read 21090 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who should the new PM name Minister of Sport?
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2015, 01:01:39 PM »
Good points Palos as for Lara Rowley I trust will not be so silly. Lara has or had a brother who is or was a PNM counsellor so that will explain his presence at Balliser House and at the swearing in.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2015, 02:14:24 PM »
It will be beneficial if the Minister of Sport is a former sportsperson.  Someone who has been at the highest level and seen how things operate first hand and knows what it takes to get to that level.  But it's not a necessity.  The Minister of Sport can draw upon such people for their input if he/she does not possess that achievement.

Fully agreed.  Far too often we seem content to just plug in a figurehead in the hopes of putting a familiar name in charge of something because they happened to be past sportsmen.  The model for that isn't broken, former athletes can make good administrators... Sebastian Coe is current head of the IAAF; Anita DeFrantz is a member of the IOC Executiv Committee; Franz Beckenbauer successfully led Germany's LOC during the 2006 WC... etc.  Ideally we can find someone with national prominence from the list of former athletes, who will also have facility with managing the bureaucratic process within the Ministry, have a facility with budget and planning, and who can serve as an effective manager as well.  The day to day task of running the Ministry can be managed by the Permanent Secretary and Ministerial staff, but there has to be vision, oversight and guidance from the Minister.  Lara seemingly checks many of those  boxes.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2015, 02:38:37 PM »
What socapro said.

I'd be surprised if it's Brian, though.

Former sportsman helps, but isn't critical to being effective at the job.

Most critical trait is someone who is not afraid to go in there and force change. Same foolishness in the same broken system equals same results.

Even if I wanted to, I couldn't, so interesting to hear my name called in it, but it's not even a remote possibility.

I will certainly be willing to work with the next Minister in a meaningful way, since I am more involved now than I have probably ever been in my history with TNT, with more plans/developments involving my national involvement to be revealed in the next 3 months.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »
Good post by Palos. Nicely put together concepts.
Really appreciate the quest for deeper value for the society.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »
It will be beneficial if the Minister of Sport is a former sportsperson.  Someone who has been at the highest level and seen how things operate first hand and knows what it takes to get to that level.  But it's not a necessity.  The Minister of Sport can draw upon such people for their input if he/she does not possess that achievement.

Fully agreed.  Far too often we seem content to just plug in a figurehead in the hopes of putting a familiar name in charge of something because they happened to be past sportsmen.  The model for that isn't broken, former athletes can make good administrators... Sebastian Coe is current head of the IAAF; Anita DeFrantz is a member of the IOC Executiv Committee; Franz Beckenbauer successfully led Germany's LOC during the 2006 WC... etc.  Ideally we can find someone with national prominence from the list of former athletes, who will also have facility with managing the bureaucratic process within the Ministry, have a facility with budget and planning, and who can serve as an effective manager as well.  The day to day task of running the Ministry can be managed by the Permanent Secretary and Ministerial staff, but there has to be vision, oversight and guidance from the Minister.  Lara seemingly checks many of those  boxes.

This reasoning parallels and approximates the discussion regarding the National Security portfolio. As with ex-military, some ex-athletes won't cut it, and some will perform with accomplishment.

Who can name the last non-polarizing, effective MoS?

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »

This reasoning parallels and approximates the discussion regarding the National Security portfolio. As with ex-military, some ex-athletes won't cut it, and some will perform with accomplishment.

Who can name the last non-polarizing, effective MoS?

Jennifer Johnson  ;D
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2015, 04:21:10 PM »
What socapro said.

Most critical trait is someone who is not afraid to go in there and force change. Same foolishness in the same broken system equals same results.

Even if I wanted to, I couldn't, so interesting to hear my name called in it, but it's not even a remote possibility.

I will certainly be willing to work with the next Minister in a meaningful way, since I am more involved now than I have probably ever been in my history with TNT, with more plans/developments involving my national involvement to be revealed in the next 3 months.

Good luck Ato, I hope you get the support, you know how everyone comes in to T&T government have some personal issue and greed.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2015, 05:00:13 PM »
What socapro said.

Thanks Ato! You did some great work with the relay women recently. Hope you'll reveal soon if you're working with the sprint men also. Nothing will bring us more pride than relay gold in Rio! Continue to make us proud!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2015, 08:56:42 PM »
multiple sources are saying Brian Lara will be sworn in as Sports Minister according to Newsday.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2015, 12:07:17 AM »
Knott: Tobago needs right sport policy
Guardian

With the right sport policy, Tobago can consistently compete with larger countries on the world stage. That’s the view of Annette Knott, Secretary General of the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee. Knott was speaking during last week’s stakeholder consultation on the review of the Tobago Sport Policy, which took place from August 27-28 at the Lowlands Community Centre, Tobago.

The consultation, hosted by the Division of Education, Youth Affairs and Sport, featured several key interest groups, including the Ministry of Sport, sporting organisations and personnel across the island. Knott said Tobago has shown tremendous athletic potential despite having a small population of 60,000.

The event atracted over five dozen participants from a large cross-section of sporting disciplines from the sister isle which include - the Paradise hockey Club, Tobago Hotel Association, Soren Bishop of SSFL,  FCB sports Foundation—Catherine Forde, Ainsly King of the YMCA, Brandon Gray—Leeward Golf Association, Tobago Netball League—Ruthlyn Antoine and Kieron McDougal of the Tobago Basketball Association.

Technical Director of the Division’s Department of Sport Justin Latapy-George called for a collaborative approach to take Tobago forward. “The consultation speaks to where we want to go, to have critical feedback from the stakeholders and to guide the process forward inclusive of implementation and periodic evaluation,” Latapy-George stated.

Tyrone J Marcus, the attoney for the Ministry of Sport and facilitator of the event acknowledged that the Sport policy needs to deal with the Tobago-specific issues, to ensure the desired development takes place.

Assistant Secretary with direct responsibility for Sports, Assemblyman Jomo Pitt during the consultation voiced that the “ideal pathway for Tobago athletes to perform at the national and international level has to be predictable and transparent. This leads to better accountability of both the local and national governing bodies.” 

The current draft of the policy includes four areas; development, community participation, facility management and the link between the Tobago Sport Policy and the National Sport Policy. Implementation of the policy is expected to begin next year.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:19:11 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2015, 12:38:56 AM »
Who has been the PNM's shadow MoS? Who has been the parliamentary point person on issues regarding sport? Of the PNM candidates, who is likely to be the voice of sport?

We are in for an interesting ride.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2015, 04:23:26 AM »
This was a very well kept secret.... and the beat goes on  :frustrated:
Live large and prosper!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2015, 06:29:59 AM »

Maybe PNM was not sure they were going to win and did not prepare or have these shadow portfolios.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2015, 06:38:19 AM »

Maybe PNM was not sure they were going to win and did not prepare or have these shadow portfolios.
funny... all because it wasn't leaked and you don't know who it is!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2015, 07:40:15 AM »
I hearing Fitzgerald Hinds.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2015, 07:40:47 AM »

funny... all because it wasn't leaked and you don't know who it is!
Laziness on my part... I was referring to the consultation on Tobago sports policy ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
Mr. Smith it is.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2015, 12:15:59 PM »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2015, 12:20:32 PM »
Mr. Smith it is.
Huge misstep there

care to elaborate or yuh want to wait and see, it would be good to know what we gettin into
I pity the fool....

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »
Well boyz TTFA going to be cutting lawn for money now ..

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFA Congratulates new Sports Minister
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »
TTFA Congratulates new Sports Minister
TTFA Media

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association today extends warmest congratulations and welcome to the newly appointed Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs, the Honourable Darryl Smith.

In a statement earlier today, TTFA President Mr. Raymond Tim Kee wrote : “Congratulations on your new role as Sports Minister. It’s reassuring to have leadership in the Department of Sport and Youth Affairs from someone who understands the grassroots and sporting issues of the country, and who has also been actively involved.”

“I am confident your passion for sport, in particular football, and for Trinidad and Tobago, will see you work tirelessly for the development of sport in our beloved country.

“Nothing fosters a sense of shared national identity better than the country taking part in global sporting competitions as has been evident at the 2006 World Cup and our appearances at other world events, cricket World Cups and Athletic meets such as the Olympic Games.

Sport increasingly crosses cultural and political boundaries in a way that few other activities can. It's about really building a society, a nation, a country. Sport has something to offer people at all ages. We are confident that you will lead this charge.

We at the TTFA look forward with great anticipation to getting the ball rolling with you, Honourable Minister and your Ministry. Again, we take this opportunity to extend best wishes to you in your new role and look forward to working with you.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »

VIDEO Report; https://www.facebook.com/cnewslive/videos/10153571254490610/

The new Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Darryl Smith intends to focus on T&T's athletes. Speaking after his swearing-in on Friday, he said under the last administration, the Ministry of Sport had a lot of negative publicity and he intends to change that and put the focus back on the nation's athlete

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2015, 08:24:21 AM »

VIDEO Report; https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/videos/10153627061962996/

10-YEAR-OLD GIRL HAS FIRST QUESTIONS FOR SPORT AND YOUTH AFFAIRS MINISTER

Minister Darryl Smith was only an hour into his job before he came under some heavy questioning from a ten-year-old.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2015, 04:44:46 PM »
The new sports minister , lasana libird and tony Hartford on I 95 right now.  Good conversation I might add.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:46:53 PM by pull stones »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
The new sports minister , lasana libird and tony Hartford on I 95 right now.  Good conversation I might add.

I missed that.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »

Good shout! Enjoyed it.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2015, 06:38:47 PM »

Good shout! Enjoyed it.

C'mon Seeker . . .Yuh know we wah a lil summary nah . . Thanks
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2015, 07:01:42 PM »
Where to start boi?

In studio were Andre Baptiste, Tony Harford, Lasana and the new MoS.

Somewhere in the middle of the programme, Andre announced that Brent Sancho was on the line. Ah say, look ting, play yuhself, Brent!

Either he called in or they called him ... thought that was interesting. He was very conciliatory and extended congrats to the incoming MoS and expressed that he wanted to have an outgoing MoS-incoming MoS meeting. Supposedly that will take place next week. I heard him express this before. Apparently he'd reached out via MoS staff and via text? email? to the new MoS to say the same. He really wants to meet is what I gathered.

The outgoing MoS spoke about his perception of the culture within the MoS. Also mentioned national governing bodies generally as having good ppl.

Lasana let fly a question regarding his (Sancho's) plans now that his tenure was up ... in light of supposed TTFA interest in exploring irregularities related to the alleged transfer transactions. In sum, whether he would be returning to Central and local football. The response from BS was that nothing had impacted his involvement with football and that he would be re-engaging that arena as he had done prior to assuming office.

Ah missed a portion following this because ah was in a roti shop.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:04:30 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2015, 09:06:57 PM »
Where to start boi?

In studio were Andre Baptiste, Tony Harford, Lasana and the new MoS.

Somewhere in the middle of the programme, Andre announced that Brent Sancho was on the line. Ah say, look ting, play yuhself, Brent!

Either he called in or they called him ... thought that was interesting. He was very conciliatory and extended congrats to the incoming MoS and expressed that he wanted to have an outgoing MoS-incoming MoS meeting. Supposedly that will take place next week. I heard him express this before. Apparently he'd reached out via MoS staff and via text? email? to the new MoS to say the same. He really wants to meet is what I gathered.

The outgoing MoS spoke about his perception of the culture within the MoS. Also mentioned national governing bodies generally as having good ppl.

Lasana let fly a question regarding his (Sancho's) plans now that his tenure was up ... in light of supposed TTFA interest in exploring irregularities related to the alleged transfer transactions. In sum, whether he would be returning to Central and local football. The response from BS was that nothing had impacted his involvement with football and that he would be re-engaging that arena as he had done prior to assuming office.

Ah missed a portion following this because ah was in a roti shop.

Well ah certainly understand the influence of a goat roti and cold mauby. LOL

Much appreciated bro. We can only hope that the new MoS is of a different stripe. Well, hope and keep his feet to the fire, so to speak.

I really hope our people "T&T" come to the place where we produce citizens of integrity and respect for human dignity. This will breathe transparency and accountability, not as an obligation, but as what is good and proper.

Appreciate your hard work and contributions to the forum.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

1]; } ?>